Thursday, March 18, 2010

oh, hey, kids

1.) I'll take a picture at some point, crappy camera n' all, but for now let me just tell you that, my electrician John and his helper Steve having come and done their thing, not only do all the outlets in my kitchen work again and not only do I have a new outlet in a place that never had one before but will now be wicked convenient, my dining room chandelier that's been in a box on the floor for ::mumble:: months--the one *you* helped me pick out--is now up. And it looks fabulous. The hilarious part is that my dad loves it. He keeps going over to it and making approving comments. The other hilarious part is that there were *a lot* of crystals to screw into it and John was cracking me up going "only 400 to go!" etc as he was assembling it. But that led to a conversation about the guy who owns my beloved Kellys. John was involved (with a lot of other people, obviously) in the electrical work when they built the one in Danvers and also did some work in the guy's house. And apparently the guy had a Waterford crystal chandelier shipped from Ireland that took two people working a 40 hour week to attach all the crystals to. Holy shit. I'm glad my onion ring money is going to a good cause!

2.) It stopped raining two and a half days ago and my sump pump is still running. A-maz-ing. On Tuesday they were draining water out of "my" pond right into one of the main streets, which I have never seen before. I mentioned that to John and he said that he and his wife used to live right behind "my" CVS and when the pond got as high as the condo parking lot (that the water was being drained through to the street), every single house on his street would get water in the basement. Okay. So I understand the reasoning behind draining the pond. But just dumping the water into a major road and hoping the sewers can handle it doesn't seem like the most advanced engineering solution. But whadda I know? I'm just a taxpayer.

3.) Every few years I get sucked into watching a season of American Idol. Yes, I know, I'm not proud. So this is one of those years. Mr Indemnity alerted me last week that this Tuesday was going to be Rolling Stones week and I told him I was already all over that. (And that the frontrunner this season is a blond dreadlocked girl named Crystal Bowersox. Mr Indemnity: "That doesn't even sound like a real name." Me: "Does Bono sound like a real name? Sting? Bob Dylan? hahahahaha") Anyway, this Tuesday comes along and we the American public are treated to a young man doing Under My Thumb as a reggae number. And he doesn't seem to realize what the lyrics are about. Hint: smiling perkily throughout them makes you look like a potential serial killer. Oh dear sweet Jesus. The kid singing Gimme Shelter didn't seem to understand what that was about either. But that's the fun of Idol and its theme weeks: making people sing a genre they don't like, know nothing about, and can't understand, and watching the predictably skeery results!

4.) I signed up for a Sunday morning yoga class at the wellness center associated with my place of employment, starting in April. I'm also thinking hard about joining the gym again. I need some structure to my working out, maybe. I've been "on a diet" for a week now, trying to detox from the incredible carb cravings I've previously detailed, and can I just say this? I am fucking starving. Apparently the detox hasn't kicked in yet. Sigh. But I am persevering. Mr "Kellys" isn't getting any onion ring=Waterford crystal money out of me for at least the next month, yo.

5.) It's a nice day! Happy spring!

xoxo

No comments: