Tuesday, March 9, 2010

i want it so bad

Speaking of cravings...

This morning on the way to work, I was flipping through a copy of that bastion of fine journalism, the Metro, that someone had left on the bus. Therein I came across an article about staying fit during pregnancy. Well. It's been almost a quarter of a century since I myself needed to worry about that (not that I did--I was 22/23 years old and at my peak physical condition, healthy and strong) but since you can read an entire Metro in less than ten minutes, I wasn't skipping any features. The "expert" interviewed for this article was some celebrity trainer who is either pregnant or has recently been so. Are you beginning to suspect the quality of information imparted? Yeah.

This was my very favorite lil gem: since preggos often crave coffee and chocolate, they should carry "fruit puree" around with them. Besides the obvious WTF of "fruit puree" as opposed to, say, um, fruit, what kind of planet does this woman come from when she thinks a craving for chocolate or coffee is going to be assuaged by fruit? There's absolutely no similarity there. And is chocolate considered bad during pregnancy now? Is that another one of those insane new guidelines? (In my mom's day, you could smoke and drink during your pregnancy. During mine, you could drink coffee and eat tuna. Another generation or two and your poor pregnant woman is going to be made to subsist on nothing but prenatal vitamins and some kind of prescription protein shake or something. And you know what? The kids won't be getting any damn smarter.)

Anyway, my "expert" advice as someone who's gone to the gym and been pregnant is this: if you have a craving for chocolate, EAT SOME.

The End.

xoxo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can eat some, but only 70% or greater.

No, I can't tell you why, but if you care about your baby you don't ask too many questions.

malevolent andrea said...

Oh.my.god. There *is* a rule? hahaha

(I literally LOL'd at "don't ask too many questions" b/c you know that's true. Only a Very Bad Mommy-to-be would Take Any Chances.)

crispix67 said...

I have never been pregnant, nd I cant recall ever wandering into a gym...but, I am an expert on chocolate cravings, and yes, fruit-whole or pureed- does NOT get rid of chocolate cravings. I have tried. The only thing that works is chocolate. And I have found that just a small piece of the darkest most organic (and sometimes most expensive)chocolate satisfies me more than an entire Hershey's bar or bag of M&M's. Most of the time. Sometimes, you just gotta have some M&M's. :-)