Monday, March 29, 2010

and more crucial decision-making required

Also this morning, I got email enticing me to buy something that I might, unlike several types of body wax, want. See this beautiful bedding? I was thinking of buying it for the summer, since I've been using the same duvet cover for the past year and a half+, the one I bought when I first started doing Boho Paradise over. The problem with it now is that the down comforter inside of it is probably 7 or 8 years old at the very least and it's lost its fluff, plus the down has shifted. I definitely need a new one, but I'm thinking I'll wait till fall for that and have something lighter for the warm weather. Following me?

The problem with buying this beautiful quilt is that the sheets I have used every single night since I bought them together with the duvet cover are a deep gold color. Beautiful with the chocolate brown duvet, not so pretty with a "poppy" quilt. Now, I have to admit that I have, somewhere, cream colored queen size sheets I used to use on my bed. But those gold sheets? If you remember, and even if you don't, they're 800 thread count Egyptian cotton sateen, so thick, so soft, and better with every wash, and now I am fucking completely spoiled. I don't want to go back to using crappy sheets. I'm a princess.

So I was looking at overstock, where the original 800 thread count sheets came from, supah wicked cheap considering, to see if they still had the exact same ones that I could get in cream. And they don't. They have many that are almost the same, and most of them have a good number of excellent reviews with a few "these sheets are crap" thrown in. How one person could say a set of sheets are amazingly soft and another say they're awful and scratchy, and they're the supposed exact same sheets, I dunno. I tend to think the "these sheets are crap" people are the kind of people who are never happy, but I could be wrong.

So, yeah, I have to make a sheet decision before I make a quilt decision. As they say: first world problems! Which, speaking of, I was thinking seriously of donating my whole (or, okay, most of my) federal tax return to charity. Doctors Without Borders keeps sending me things thanking me for giving them money for Haiti, but could they have some more please? And since I'm not going to do the Walk for Hunger this year, I want to send them a hundred bucks or so too. But because April is one of the biannual ET Cash-in months, woohoo!, I can easily buy bedding and donate to the poor.

We'll just ignore that I need a new refrigerator (and dishwasher and hood), a landscaper, a shitload of carpeting which I will never ever be able to afford, some ceilings fixed, kitchen countertops plus a new floor, and and and... <--just in case I haven't whined enough lately about my house! You know you miss it.

xoxo

5 comments:

Craig H said...

Speaking of appliances...

One of the Lowell Blogeratti posted something the other day about the Massachusetts "Mass Save Great Appliance Exchange", whereby it's rumored you can get as much as $250 for replacing an old dishwasher, and $200 for replacing an old refrigerator. Here's the blog I noticed it on, http://gerrynutt.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/the-mass-save-great-appliance-exchange/, and here's the government site that's supposed to have the details. (But didn't yet when last I checked): http://www.MassSave.com/residential/

malevolent andrea said...

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Uncle said...

I'm working that fridge thing too. The last details I had showed the models that qualify, but not a complete list of retailers. They have 3 weeks or so to get it right, so we can hope.

The offer does *not* cover 800 thread count sheets: don't ask me why. :D

Uncle said...

Ah, here's the link I used:
http://www.masssave.com/residential/lighting-and-appliances/get-the-facts/the-great-appliance-exchange/?utm_source=press&utm_medium=press&utm_campaign=GAX

scroll down for links to the relevant pdf files

malevolent andrea said...

I tried to search the GE website for some of those refrigerator model #s and it doesn't recognize them as existing. Grrr.