Wednesday, May 13, 2009

oh, more updates

1.) In the dad vs groceries saga, I more or less forced him to go with me to Stop & Shop today. He bought himself frozen yogurt and mini-donuts. So there is that.

2.) I've worn my new gladiator sandals twice now. Sunday with cropped jeans. Today with footless tights and this tunic top thingy that's (on me) too short to be a dress and too long to be a shirt. I think they looked very cute with both those options *and* they are super comfy. I've walked all over in them.

3.) As an aside (whoa, baby, two in one day), let me describe to you all the whole outfit I was wearing today: footless tights/leggings with above-mentioned black tunic over white cami under a cardigan and a denim jacket. With gladiator sandals. And big, obnoxious earrings. Can I tell you, I think when I used to dress like this when I was thirty-ish, I was pushing it even then. Now, fifteen years later? I look fucking ridiculous. And I really don't care. I felt funky and cute in my stoopidness, which is saying something, because I am in the midst of one of my cyclical bouts of body loathing.

4.) But after reading the comments people were making on a published article by a woman suffering from depression--i.e. that depressed people are incredibly tediously self-absorbed and narcissistic in their constant examination and expression of their inner emotional state, and that it's basically hard not to want to smack them, I am seriously wondering if I should ever mention anything to do with my anxiety disorder, my depression, or my disordered relationship with my body in here again. The last thing I would want to be, or to be perceived as being, is completely self-absorbed, selfish, and narcissistic (well, more than anyone else who blogs, anyhow, because c'mon now, blogging by nature is an exercise in self-absorption) or as someone you just want to tell to STFU. I think those of you who know me in real life will agree that I generally *do not* discuss my inner emotional goings-on unless specifically asked, but maybe I should back off on doing it in here too. That may mean fewer posts. But, hopefully, less tedious ones.

xoxo

3 comments:

Uncle said...

Hey, it's *your* blog. Say what you like and show the door to the flamers.

crispix67 said...

It may appear that depressed people are self centered and narcissistic...and maybe we are...but I think its that very thing that helps us get through it.

Telling someone to stop thinking about it and go do something when theyre in the middle of a deep depression is like spitting in the wind.

Screw the flamers.

And, many times, reading about someone elses depression helps us to deal with something we're going through.

Craig H said...

Funny how a culture made up of nothing but human beings attaches such a negative stigma to self-absorption...