Monday, May 4, 2009

i'm kind of afraid

So, a couple weeks ago, I reminded D that May 10th was Mother's Day, and since we don't have (Cougar) L to take him out shopping, that if he was going to, say, buy his mother a gift online, he should probably snap to it, so that it would come in time. Because, you know, I'm subtle like that. A couple/few days after that, I said, "Hey! Did you buy me anything yet?" and he just smirked at me and said, "Maybe." So then last Friday, he got an Amazon package in the mail, which he hid in his room, and I was all, "Is that my present? Is that my present?" Because, again, I'm subtle like that. And he wouldn't commit, he just smirked at me.

Well, this morning he had a psych appointment and afterwards we went in the supermarket across the street. I always make a point of doing that with him whether we particularly need anything or not, because, y'know, it's a good desensitization exercise for him, and he's gotten better and better with it. So today I was like, "Do you want to maybe buy your mother a card while you're here?" And he said, "I already got you presents." Presents. Plural.

You have to understand, when he would go shopping w/ Cougar L, it was so stressy for him, I would tell him exactly what I wanted and what store he could find it at. This time he's totally on his own. If I get a DVD of Friday the 13th Part 86 or something...

Can my male readers please assure me they knew what to buy their moms on gift giving occasions when they were D's age? Lie if you must.

xoxo

2 comments:

Craig H said...

Just don't hold it against him if he buys you something for the kitchen... Please?

Guys never know when it comes to women--Moms included. But sometimes we do hit the lottery, and everybody's happy about that.

malevolent andrea said...

I am *totally* giving him brownie points for effort for whatever it is, believe me. I am not a person to look down my nose at anyone's gift, cooking utensil or not.

But I'm kinda suspicious I'm perhaps getting a couple DVDs from Amazon that *he* wants. :-) We'll see. Maybe I'm selling him short!