Monday, May 25, 2009

i have a small problem

So, the fabulous Benevolent L was visiting this weekend.

There are certain things we usually do when she visits. For instance, usually I make her a home-cooked meal and give her some bodywork and we watch either chick flicks or stoopid comedies (this weekend she was introduced to the universe of Weekend at Bernie's, because I am a *good* friend). We also do Traditional North Shore Things to fill her with nostalgia, like eat at faux cow-or volcano-filled Route One restaurants, go to Devereaux beach, and drive around looking at her old house and, as it so happens, the houses of everyone she ever knew that ever lived in my zip code. This is how we roll. (On Memorial Day weekend, she used to always beg me to go to the parade, but that has mercifully stopped because she realized that it ain't happening and begging is unseemly in people our age. [S, if you're reading, don't tell her I said that or I'll be in big trouble. Gracias!])

Well, this weekend the other thing I did was download Abnormally Attracted to Sin, the new Tori Amos album, and make L listen to it, in preparation for when we go see Tori in August. My little tiny problem is that I now have "Fast Horse", which is the bonus track, stuck in my head. And because I can't understand even one--one!--lyric, I am going around singing "dadada mumble mumble something something" under my breath. Literally, the only words I am fairly sure I can decipher in the whole song are "drunk" "girl you gotta find you the man" "Maserati" and "Tennessee." Which paints an interesting picture of what it might be about, but really, I'm not doing too well making up the rest of the lyrics. And when a song gets stuck in my head like this, it could be there for days. Shaping up to be an interesting week, yo.

xoxo

Addendum: Oh for the love of sweet Christ, never mind. I just realized my download included the "digital booklet" which includes the lyrics. Along with photos of Tori with a dagger, silver leather wrist restraints, and bondage boots. Oh, and an iguana. But that's just weird.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am shocked and appalled that you would personally contribute to the decline of the world-wide record industry by downloading the new Tori Amos instead of going down to your local Newbury Comics and purchasing a real (and really uncompressed) CD.

I just don't know you anymore. :-(

malevolent andrea said...

Obviously, I'm new at it (downloading complete albums rather than songs, at least) since the whole concept of the digital booklet was foreign to me. (I still can't believe I was whinging about that when I had the answer on my own computer the whole freakin time. Sigh.)

But as much as, *as you all know*, I dislike getting with the 21st century, the fact that I don't *have* a working CD player in the house anymore other than what's in the computer makes buying the physical CD seem stupidly superfluous.

malevolent andrea said...

But, yes, I did know you were going to be appalled, Mr Indemnity, audio purist that you are. My cheap iPod speakers probably make you question our friendship every single day :-) :-)

Anonymous said...

Compression is for muscles, not music.

Particularly lossy compression. EEEeeeewww

"Digital" booklet. What's that?

Sounds about as satisfying as "virtual" food.

(I may be an "audio purist" but I'm no audiophile. Not like those magazines which talk about "inexpensive" CD players for $5,000. Note, however, that you could get a whole new DVD/CD player for 1/100th of that. And then avoid ear and mind deadening lossy compression)