Friday, May 22, 2009

and for the hypochondriacs in the crowd

And we know who we are, don't we!

So, apparently, Partners Healthcare, my ultimate employers as it were, are having a big two-day Health and Fitness Expo next month. My computer welcome screen/homepage at work is telling me all about it. Well. As part of this, they are having...and you cannot make this shit up...a "Glo-Germ screening" so that "people can actually see how many germs are crawling around on their hands."

I do not know whose idea this was, or just why they think it *is* a good idea, but man. Bacteria is everywhere on your skin. It's supposed to be. Some of it is bad, some of it is good, but trying to freak people out about it is not going to necessarily make them, like, wash their hands after using the potty if they're the kind of people who don't do that already. And for people who already worry too much about such things? No fucking enabling, please.

Unless your booth is next to the one for OCD recognition. Or something.

xoxo

3 comments:

Uncle said...

I'm mostly pro-cootie...although I have to admit that when I read about what crawls around in the bottom of the silverware basket in the dishwasher, I turned everything handle end down. Eww!!

Seems to me that you want the lil Glo-germ thingy anywhere that clinicians congregate as just, say, a friendly reminder. You're right: John and Jane Q. Public are creeped out enough.

JLP said...

Hear, hear!

crispix67 said...

We did that Glo-germ thingy in nursing school. Very much a wake up call.

I dont think I want to know what crawls around in my silverware basket.Thanks. :)