Tuesday, May 5, 2009

backordered, my fat ass

So, you know, I ended last month with a bit more money than with I started, thanks to ET Cash-In (yeah, baby) and my tax refund from the gov'mint, not to mention the end of the winter heating season. I decided to spend this windfall (ha!) on--besides acupuncture, pedicures, my new shoes, and charitable donations--a couple things I did not need, but wanted, for the house.

I've been wanting a bulletin board for Boho Paradise for like a year, but since, c'mon now, it's Boho Paradise, it couldn't be just any ugly, utilitarian bulletin board. So imagine my delight when in the Ballard Design catalogue I got in the mail, thanks to being on who knows what mailing list, they had these fabulous gilt framed bulletin boards in a choice of sizes and a choice of chalk- or corkboard. They were kind of expensive and the shipping more so, but where in god's name am I ever going to find a more appropriate bulletin board for my bedroom? I mean, really. So I sucked it up and ordered the next-to-smallest size.

But before that, when I was idly perusing the Anthropologie website, I found an also-fabulous Indian-inspired bedskirt on sale. Now, we've discussed, I think, how much I lurve Anthropologie. It is an incredible store, but it is too pricey most of the time for my poor white trash blood. I have, in my life, bought exactly one piece of clothing there that was full price (the autumn leaves coat, and it was well worth it) but many things from the deep discount sale room in the store. The only other things I have bought full price in there are small housewares, like candles or the occasional gift for a friend. (As an aside--oh shut up, there hasn't been one for awhile--my friend LV was once telling me about staying over at our mutual friend AK's house, and how AK was making up the daybed with quilt after beautiful quilt for her. When LV asked her where they came from and AK said casually "Anthropologie", LV had to manually close her own dropped jaw as she recalculated in her head what AK's income bracket probably was. We agreed that *we* ourselves kinda were restricted to $18 candles in there.) My point being, even a sale bedskirt from Anthropologie is still a fairly pricey thing, but because it was so cute and I was spending tax return money and I haven't bought a new bedskirt probably in this millennium, and there was only queen-size left so that, my bed being a queen, god and the universe obviously wanted me to have this, I ordered it online.

This was all last week. Today I get an e-mail from Ballard, telling me my bulletin board has shipped. Hmm, I think to myself, I haven't gotten a shipping confirmation from Anthropologie. So, I go online and check. Apparently, my bedskirt is "backordered." How something *on clearance* in the only size they have listed, is "backordered" and why they didn't see fit to tell me this either when I was ordering or in a later e-mail, I just couldn't tell you. But I was not pleased with this customer service. I want my semi-expensive dust ruffle, please. Now.

Bastards!

Not that this will make me boycott their store or anything. Because it is so cute and I am weak. The end.

xoxo

3 comments:

JLP said...

FYI, "idly perusing" is an oxymoron.

malevolent andrea said...

Well, it certainly is in my case.

:-)

malevolent andrea said...

And in other news, the bastards sent me email *today* telling me my bedskirt is backordered. Are you *kidding* me?