Thursday, June 12, 2008

people who should be smacked upside the head

Did you hear about the Wentworth students who video'd their (female) Mass College of Art neighbors having sex and then put it online? In court yesterday, one of them put forth the defense "it wouldn't have happened if they closed their blinds."

Seriously? I wish I were that kid's mother, so I could smack him in the head. Repeatedly. Hard.

Now, I'm not saying that if I were to realize that I could see my neighbors engaging in sex from my own window, I might not watch. Briefly. In horrified fascination. But does anyone really need to be told that that's as far as it should go, blinds open or not? Apparently so.

Three things that are particularly depressing about this story, in so much as it reflects on today's youth (yes, I'm sorry, I'm slipping into fogeydom here):

1.) As mentioned above, it's always someone else's fault. Personal responsibility? Admitting you fucked up and it's totally on you? What, what?

2.) One of the young women was recognized by a BU student, who said to her, "oh, cool, you're famous." Thank you, Paris, and thank you, Kim Kardashian. Apparently there are now college students who do think being a celebrity because your sex tape is on the internet is something to aspire to. Jesus wept.

3.) Apparently in the video, you can hear the Wentworth students and their friends who'd gathered to watch and tape making anti-gay remarks about the women. Oh, lesbian sex is so heinous. That's why you're wanking to it. Assholes!

I'm not sure which of these three points pisses me off the most, but I will say, I'm sorry that our judicial system does not allow judges to mete out creative punishments to fit the crime. Because I would like to see these two kids made to be filmed naked in embarrassing positions and have the video uploaded so that all their fellow students can judge and mock their endowments.

But first their moms should smack them upside the head.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Maybe they could screw each other in front of a live audience of allegedly het males? With video?

And it can't all be hormones, because I just posted my own fogey-rant and I'm post-menopausal. (I have to attend a block party with my homophobic neighbours this weekend. Shall I say that to them?)

malevolent andrea said...

Are you *sure* you're post-menopausal? :-)

(I read and liked and agreed w/ your rant.)