Saturday, September 24, 2011

mostly it's a chick thing

Our cafeteria in work, which I have bitched about oh so very many times before, puts nutritional labels by some of the foods. This may in fact be one of the things I bitched about before, actually. They're pretty useless to me, because all they tell is the calories, the fat grams, and the sodium or something. I do not now and have not ever cared about how much fat or sodium I am consuming. When I was dieting, the carb counts would have been nice. And now that I'm bulking, I'd like to know the protein grams. But, no, they don't care to tell me either of those things.

But my bitching about that is apparently moot, because yesterday at the deli station that had turkey club rollups on special, and the nutritional info provided claimed that they were 800+ calories each. Um, yeah, okay. Let me tell you what they consisted of. Half a piece of lavash bread, maybe (to be generous) 4oz of deli turkey breast (but probably more like 3), two pieces of bacon, a lettuce leaf, a slice of tomato. No mayo, oil, or other condiments. That's it. This lead to a spirited discussion in line about how that couldn't possibly be correct. In fact, it's probably + or - 300 calories, so even if they were counting two halves as a serving (which most people don't get), it wouldn't be 800.

Similarly, earlier in the week, at the pizza station they had slices of cheese pizza listed as 350ish calories and slices of pepperoni as 700+. WTF? Go look up the nutrition facts for Pizza Hut or the like. A slice of cheese pizza and a slice of pepperoni pizza have almost the same calorie counts. Adding pepperoni does NOT double the calories. Obviously, those nutritional labels at the caf? They're just making them up out of thin air. They bear no resemblance to reality. So I'm glad they're not telling me how many grams of protein is in their slop. It'd be wrong anyway.

But what I thought was hilarious was that I and the three women directly behind me in the deli line yesterday all knew and were pissed that that sandwich nutritional label had to be wrong. I was thinking, would most guys know that? I don't think so. It's we chicks, most of whom have been on diets on and off since we were like 12 years old, who can tell you just by looking at something more or less how many calories are in it. It's kind of sad actually.

xoxo

No comments: