Tuesday, December 1, 2009

my spiritual practice

As I have often told you people, only partially tongue-in-cheek, my basic motto in life is "love is free, love me, say HELL YES." But sometimes a person looks around and feels like just perhaps they should seek out a higher level of spiritual and philosophical advisor than, y'know, Flea.

As you also know, I am a heathen. I've firmly rejected my religion of birth, not that they want me either, and nothing has come along to take its place. I often feel like I am a distinctly non-spiritual person. That I don't have the ability to have what anyone would call "faith." I like the concrete and the logical. When I am confronted experientially with something that is beyond the concrete--for instance, what we in the bodywork world would call "energy" and what people in the religious world might call a "soul"--my immediate reaction is that there is a scientific explanation for it that we just don't understand yet. I have felt other people's energy when giving a massage and felt that energy shift, and I have been with my mother at the moment of her death and felt something there and then something gone, and I rationalize that as some kind of electrochemical field that we don't know how to measure yet but that people can perceive if they're feeling. Just because I can't believe in something that's woo-woo.

But, like I said, sometimes a person wishes they had some sort of more spiritual life. So I'm kinda looking into Buddhism. I always thought I could never be a Buddhist because I am too materialistic. I like my stuff. But I'm starting to realize just from my beginning explorations of this that I was mistaken. Buddhism doesn't necessarily mean renouncing all your worldly goods, rather renouncing your attachment to them, i.e. thinking that they are what will bring you happiness. I *think*--and I could well be wrong--but I think that what Buddhism teaches is that your satisfaction has to come not from your things and not from other people, but from within yourself. Since I've been trying to go in that direction anyway, mentally and psychologically, I can get behind that as a spiritual idea.

So periodically I go to the bookstore and look at the 500 different books on Buddhism they have and buy none, because I don't know where to start. There are probably as many schools of it as there are denominations of Christianity. The Dalai Lama has written a crapload of books for the lay person, so maybe that's a good place to start. But with which one? It's all very paralyzing.

And on the non-book-learning side, I actually have two friends (one closer and one not-so-close) who both do this Buddhist chanting that is from some obscure school of Buddhism I never heard of. The not-so-close friend is very into it; she holds the meetings or services or whatever they are called in her apartment sometimes. My closer friend, who goes to these chanting meetings, isn't so involved, but she likes it very much. She says of all the different forms of Buddhism she's been around, it's the most diverse. All the others have been composed solely of the kind of white, middle class, uber liberal hippie type people you would stereotype American Buddhists as being. And though my closer friend fits the stereotype, she enjoys having a wider experience. I mention all this because I was invited to go to one of the chantings, primarily because I was meeting up with this friend after it, and it was like, oh, if you want, you can come early and chant with us. I demurred only because this was earlier this fall when I was totally crazed and I didn't think I could settle my mind for it. I hope refusing once doesn't mean I'm never invited again, because I think I really would like to at least try it.

So that's my (so far) plan for becoming one with the universe. I'll report back if it happens. And I welcome any alternate suggestions for my spiritual growth. Not that I think *you* heathens will give me any. Peace!

xoxo

11 comments:

Craig H said...

Should we be sending flowers to Richard Gere, or The Tantra?

malevolent andrea said...

Tantra's mostly Hindu. But my root chakra says hi.

malevolent andrea said...

And look at me, explaining Hinduism to Mr Gandhi :-)

crispix67 said...

I like Buddhism as a religion. It is more accepting of humanness, there is no good or bad, there just *is* (which is sometimes hard for my black and white/good and bad brain to wrap itself around)

Yes, Buddhism isnt about giving up all your worldly possessions. It is about losing your attachment to them. Im still working on that too. I can do it sometimes, not really with possessions, but with emotions and things happening in my life, not quite how I want them to happen. If youd like to work on that, a good book that helped me through a rough patch awhile ago is "When Things Fall Apart" by Pema Chodron. She has a whole bunch of books out. She speaks plainly and to the point, and acknowledges that life is hard, but if we can learn to be with the "bad" things that happen to us, and not get caught up in the emotions of whatevers happening...it makes things alot easier. And it does. Check her out. Shes a Buddhist nun, but speaks down to earth. Not like the Swami I met a couple years ago. :-)

And I hope you do get to try the chanting. I love chanting, in a group of people, not alone. I cant stand the sound of my own voice. LOL

crispix67 said...

Oh, and I pray to "God, Jesus, Buddha,Ganesh...whoevers listening today"

I sometimes wonder...what if theyre all listening? How awesome to have all that help. :-)

Talk about lack of faith. Part of me wants to believe, and at times I do believe there's some higher power out there. Other times I think its a bunch of "woo-woo"

malevolent andrea said...

I should have remembered that one of my blog readers isn't a total heathen! :-) Thank you, thank you, thank you for the book recommendation. That is *so* helpful, 'cause like I said, I go into the bookstore and have no idea what's good and helpful and easy for a beginner to understand and what's not.

Do you mind if I ask you what the chanting you do is called? I can't remember what the name of the "style" my friends do is, but I know if I hear it I'll go oh, yeah, that's it.

Uncle said...

I may be a heathen (and proud of it) but if I were lying in a hospice and looking for a stray human to just chat with, I'd pick a Buddhist.

crispix67 said...

The only chanting Ive done is during a Chakra class, where we chanted the Bija mantras- each chakra has a mantra that you chant to balance it. LAM,VAM,RAM,YAM,HAM,KSHAM and OM (in order 1-7)the "am" is pronounced like "ah" with an m. Ive also chanted a few times in yoga class, one teacher I like uses some chants, usually just OM or Om Shanti (Peace). Im not sure if theres a name other than chanting mantras.

And Im not a Buddhist but neither am I a complete heathen. Im kinda in transition spiritually at the moment. Christianity has only made me ill for the past 10 years or so, with all its hypocrisy and "One True Way"-ness.

crispix67 said...

(Im really not trying to monopolize the comments-really LOL)

Did a quick search and found this link with some recommended books. http://buddhism.about.com/od/beginnerbuddhistbooks/tp/basicbeginner.htm FYI-Thubten Chodron is another name that Pema goes by. I have also asked my friends on the evil Facebook for their recommendations and will forward them to you. :-) Im interested in their replies too as I have been thinking about getting more seriously into it.

malevolent andrea said...

No, thank you so much, really. I appreciate the leads. Keep 'em coming! I ordered the book you recommended off amazon, and another one by the same woman--"Start Where You Are-a Guide to Compassionate Living." But all her books seem to have gotten many many rave reader reviews.

crispix67 said...

Recommendations from the evil Facebook so far:

Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind "was life-changing for me" one friend said-and several recommended this book.

Everyday Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck

Thich Nhat Han was mentioned by several people too.

Enjoy the discovery.

Oh, hehe, a warning about the Pema book-"When Things Fall Apart"- prepare to have everything youve ever learned about how to deal with life thus far shattered and turned around. And ya might want to buy the paperback. Um..when I was in the middle of things falling apart and read it, it totally blew my mind, and I threw it across the room a few times. Only because it went against everything my black and white world stood for and those old thought patterns were rebelling. But keep reading after you throw it. Keep with it. :-) (and a friend told me that Pema would totally understand why I threw the book-lol)