Friday, December 18, 2009

props where due

Last mention of the old man's medical condition unless and until he obstructs again. Promise. I know the entertainment value of this is limited and it's only of interest to me. (Wait. Is that one of those disclaimers? Damn.)

So, since we've been mildly slagging on surgeons in here, I figure I should praise when applicable. The NP, Julie, (forever to be remembered as the woman who went to Shaws in her surgical scrubs for meat tenderizer) called me yesterday to check on how my dad was doing. Of course I was with a patient myself when she called and by the time I got to return her message, she'd left for the day. Um, because they start real early, remember? So I had the semi-brilliant idea to look her up on Partners email and contact her that way. (And props to her for leaving her last name on the message, 'cause I had no clue.) She wrote me back and told me basically what Dr D had said, that he was happy with how the procedure had gone and hadn't found anything unexpected. Told me that dad could "slowly" return to normal eating. And said we should follow up with them "as necessary"--just call if any problems reoccur.

Are you kidding me? I almost let out a "woo hoo!" at my computer. No post-op appointment? I was totally envisioning having to waste half a morning taking my dad for that, sitting in the waiting room interminably, then in the room interminably, all for a two minute "how are things going? okay, fine" conversation and a stethoscope on the chest. Which was not totally filling me with joy, considering it's the holidays, my kid has two appointments next week I have to attend (though I'm thinking of rescheduling one), I still haven't rescheduled my own appointment that I cancelled when my dad was in the ER, etc.

Apparently, you make enough money stretching esophaguses that you don't have to make people come in for unnecessary followups to make a buck. I contrast this with, for instance, eye guy, who I swear will keep thinking up ways to get me in there for more groundless tests and whose office is just *chock full* of signs telling you you'll be charged $75 for a missed appointment and informing you you absolutely will not be seen if you owe them any money, as well as brochures for elective plastic surgery he'd love to do on you. I mean, he's not even subtle about being in it for the new beach house, not because he cares whether the populace of the North Shore can see or not. So I was wondering whether Dr D is in fact an employee of the hospital (like my docs are) at least in the satellite clinic (because he's an MGH doc slumming it here) and thus has *no* financial stake in how many appointments you have or what procedures and tests he does. (I think I just came out in favor of socialized medicine there, huh? And don't worry, my parenthesesectomy is coming right up.)

Anyway, I'm happy with them. If you need a thoracic surgeon, you just let me know and I'll give you their number.

xoxo

No comments: