Thursday, December 10, 2009

not getting any smarter

In the interest of fair reporting, I must confess that Mr Barma and I went to trivia again last night and we didn't do so well. Mr Barma tells me, however, if only we would have gotten the two bonus questions at the end for a total of fifteen points, we would've won. The topic was "2007." We did not, either of us, know what Paris Hilton went to jail for (I thought it was drunk driving, but in fact it was driving with a suspended license) or what won Best Picture that year (The Departed; I though it was Crash, but that was the year before.) We in fact have never answered an Academy Award question right, which is why I'ma study up on that prior to trivia league resuming in January. I did know, however, what year Elvis died and I correctly identified a picture of Travis Barker, solely because I had a vague recollection of what his neck tattoo looks like. I'm not so good on faces, but I remember people's tats.

We're still trying to recruit someone in their twenties or early thirties to our team, but Mr Barma's neighbors are proving unreliable. Boo!

But on a happier note, do you know what I had to drink during bar trivia? *Harpoon* cider, a product whose existence I was hereforeto unaware of. It's tangy! It's got sort of a green/sour apple taste to it, which is yummy and refreshing. And different. I give it two thumbs up. You should try some if you come across it.

Okay, I think that's all I've got to say about that. Namaste.

xoxo

2 comments:

Craig H said...

And you also need to take credit for knowing that Sony released the first commercially-available DVD player in the US. You were HOT last night. And you answered a lot of questions right, too. (Ba dump bump).

I think your guess on the movie was "Traffic", but, either way, had we gotten that one 15 point question right, (remember, we went for zero on paris hilton, so didn't lose any ground there), we would have been the winners. This thing is ours in the next session!

So, 80's cartoon trivia, and the academy awards. Anyone with a working knowledge of both or either is welcome down for $4 Boddington's and Harpoon cider at Major's on Wednesday nights starting again in January.

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, yeah, I did get the name wrong. ahahaha But *I* knew what movie I was talking about. Details. God.

Also? I was thinking...if we had had enough faith to go with "Zakim bridge" for 10 points, we would have gotten 10 points instead of eight and all those other teams wouldn't have gotten those eight points, so that could have gotten us into first place, or very close!

I wish Jean and J lived closer to Mr Barma! They're 30ish. They like alcohol. They're Wicked Smaht. (I don't want to invade anyone's privacy with details, but they both have advanced degrees in stuff that's actually *hard*.) And since J clued *me* into the existence of Tool Academy, I feel safe in surmising he might be able to cover the trash TV shows that *I* don't actually watch. It'd be genius. (You guys, if you're reading? Don't Wednesday night road trips to the Merrimac Valley sound fun? C'mon now.)