Saturday, December 19, 2009

grief, ur doin it rong

Before I begin, can I just say, Mother Nature is doin it rong too, because I had to cancel my plans for tonight due to impending blizzard conditions and I didn't even make the plans I was planning on making for tomorrow because I thought travel might be bad. However, if it stops snowing early enough tomorrow and I can get dug out, I might therefore be able to switch tonight's plans to tomorrow afternoon/evening, other plans not having been made. Got that? But, nevertheless, f u, atmospheric conditions. I got places to go and people to see and presents to exchange. Also? It snowed the Sunday before Xmas last year too. I remember it distinctly.

Now, on to other business! I've been reading a lot lately about people criticizing how *other people* grieve or express their grief or deal with their feelings around grief, to which I say, WTF? That's a little (ha!) presumptuous. Two particularly egregious examples were criticisms in spades about mothers grieving their dead children.

One of them you may have heard about. There's a woman who is apparently a well-known blogger and twitterer. Her husband is deployed and that's her target audience: women like her with kids whose husbands are in the military and overseas. She's built up a following. Well, recently her two year old drowned in their pool. She tweeted just before it happened (raising criticism, of course, that "if she didn't spend so much time online" her kid would be alive, which is ridic; the time it took her to type two sentences about the weather is less time than it would take her to go pee or make a sandwich, but I suppose moms of toddlers aren't allowed to do those things either unless the kid is in restraints). But the criticism is even more virulent that she tweeted from her cell at the hospital, asking for prayers, and then after she was informed he was dead, letting the people who were praying/sending good thoughts know. Apparently, reaching out through the internet for support in the midst of a horrible tragedy is at best evidence of mental disturbance and at worst, evil. I'm not sure what people thought she *should* be doing when trapped in one of those horrible ER or ICU waiting areas they stick you in when your loved one is trying to be resuscitated or otherwise worked on. Your options are wait and cry or cry and wait. Basically, that's all you can do. That she was able to also use that time to reach out to thousands of people and say, basically, something awful has happened, please think of us, would be to me a good thing. But then, y'all know I use my blog to shout out to the universe when I am scared or sad or anxious or in any other way in need of support and positive energy. I suppose that makes me mentally disturbed (shut up) and evil (shut up) too.

The other case was the woman on Hoarders whose clutter got way out of hand after her otherwise normal and healthy baby was stillborn because the cord wrapped around his neck. Even the most callous and critical of internet posters have to pretend to be sympathetic about a stillborn infant before they then, y'know, viciously excoriate the mother for her selfishness in wallowing in grief when she had two living children to take care of and the inexcusable sin of still being depressed three years after the fact. See, if something like that happened to *them*, they'd get immediate psychological help, which *would* help (perfectly!), and in 4 to 6 months, they'd be all over it like it never even happened. Or, they'd be nobly grief stricken but they'd still go through life perfectly, not letting it affect them or anyone else in any way. STFU.

That different humans process death and grief in different ways seems beyond the ken of these people. Let's take me, for example. When my grandmother, whom I was very close to, died, I grieved in what's probably the "socially accepted" way. I cried at the wake and funeral. I missed her terribly. I had vivid dreams about her for months afterwards. Eventually those dreams stopped, the missing her became less acute, I "got over it." When my mother died, it was different. I was numb. I didn't cry at the wake or funeral. In fact, one of my cousins whom I had been very close to as a young woman, kept me laughing through most of the wake. I think we probably got the side-eye from a few people for being inappropriate, but it was what I needed then. And then the rest of that summer I was still numb and, I dunno, acting out. Going out a lot, uncharacteristic casual sex, that sort of thing. It wasn't until September, near her birthday that I finally cried for my mom. I was in a store, I saw a cookbook by a TV chef that she always watched, it occurred to me she would have liked that for her birthday, I broke out crying in the store over the fact that I'd never buy her a birthday gift again. Numbness thawed. Began to process my grief. Eventually got past it.

Two different griefs, two different grieving processes. Both what I needed at whatever particular moment. Is it bad that one of them did not follow the prescribed social script? I don't think so. And a hearty f u to anyone who gave me the side-eye for laughing at the wake. Another hearty f u to self-righteous people who dare to criticize how anyone else handles their personal tragedies.

That's all I've got to say about that!

xoxo

5 comments:

Uncle said...

I don't think McLuhan had this in mind when he came up with the term "global village." But that's how villages are (having lived in one). Along with the support you get second-guessing, spite, self-righteousness and all the things that help create populations of unhappy people who shove the village away and suffer alone. As you say, people process their grief in very many ways, and always have: they need space to do it and a tad of understanding. It makes you wonder why we're not extinct.

crispix67 said...

I unfortunately have been critical of a friend recently for not grieving over her divorce. Seemingly not grieving. My perception is that shes keeping busy with work and her new boyfriend (another thing Ive been judgemental about-and I dont like that I am) and hasnt really sat down and cried and dealt with the fact that her 8 year marriage is ended. She set me straight by saying "Ive been grieving for 2 years over it now. Im done grieving." I had to keep reminding myself that as you said-everyone grieves differently, at their own pace.

Just because *I* am one to cry and fall into despair at the loss of something or someone, doesnt mean everyone should do that. But, I do have to wonder about how the Native Amercians dealt with the death of a loved one-wailing, cutting their hair and skin, ripping their clothes, etc. Did that release help them to move on quicker? Just a thought.

I am trying to be less judgemental, really, I am. :-(

malevolent andrea said...

Ms Crispix, knowing you're being judgmental is the first step in not being judgmental. Or something like that ;-)

About the NA thing...I think it's like any socially governed grieving ritual. Whether your culture tells you to rend your garments and wail, or to wear all black clothes for x number of months, or to go to a wake and act solemn and tear up, whatever the acceptable grieving ritual is, the value is in the fact that if you follow it--if you're able to follow it--you've met your social obligations, no one will give you the side-eye, and you'll be freed to privately grieve the way *you* need to without opprobrium. That's what I think.

crispix67 said...

I can remember when my favorite aunt died, I cried, I bawled, and I remember a couple of my relatives gave me as you say the "side eye" I didnt care, I was sad, I hadnt gotten to say goodbye, felt guilty because shed been sick with cancer and I didnt want to see her sick so hadnt come to visit her. And then she was gone. *Her* favorite aunt came over to me at the dinner after, held my hand and said "Youre gonna be okay". I immediately felt better, and was comforted. By a sweet little old Italian lady I had never met before. I wonder sometimes if my aunt didnt have something to do with her coming to comfort me. :-) I like to think so anyways.

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, yeah, you're supposed to cry at funerals, but, y'know, *delicately*. In a dignified manner. Not too loud, not too hard. That makes people uncomfortable. ::eyeroll::

Glad you got the support you needed :-) Those little old Italian ladies generally rock.