Saturday, December 12, 2009

obligatory monthy random post

1.) A 13 month old baby grabbed my boob today. I was determined to ignore it and pretend it didn't happen, but his mother started cracking up and then his father wanted to know what was so funny and there went taking the high road and acting professionally. Sigh.

2.) More about happiness. I was thinking about the whole material-things-don't-bring-happiness thing, and I found where the disconnect is for me. The material things I long to afford aren't based on status or (I don't think) mindless consumption. Mostly the things I want are things I want because they're pretty. Aesthetically pleasing. And when I am surrounded with beautiful things, it does improve my mood. The rooms in my house that I've mostly managed to do over so far, within the limited scope of my budget and my home improvement skills, make me happy to be in them, because I've made them as pretty as I can. I don't think the Buddhists have anything against aesthetics--certainly they have some beautiful temples and artwork--so I'm wondering how this fits in.

3.) I've been sleeping crappy lately, mostly because it's so cold in my bedroom when I go to bed that I'm buried under a pile of covers with my little ceramic heater on, and then I wake up at some point really hot, tossing off blankets, peeling off clothes and throwing them across the room in the general vicinity of the hamper, and shutting off the heater. Then it takes me awhile to fall back to sleep. Then I wake up before morning freezing again. Moral? Winter sux.

4.) Since I said in my customer service survey that I would be "very likely" to recommend them to my friends, lemme step up and pimp moo.com. http://us.moo.com/en/ I recently got my new business cards and my Xmas postcards from them and I could not be happier with the quality or service. (And if you haven't gotten an Xmas postcard from me, and you'd like one, email me your postal address!)

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Beats my method of card selection, which is a) if I can't avoid cards altogether then b) rummage around the gift wrap storage box and find some. If that fails then c) buy the cards at 75% off on December 26.

Bah humbug!

--I think I just disqualified myself from commenting on aesthetics-- ;-)

malevolent andrea said...

I don't routinely do Xmas cards, but I do send people cards all the time. Some of my friends love it, because they're psyched to get actual postal mail. And some of my friends could really give a shit, but they get them anyway :-)