Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas in progress

Feliz Navidad, chicas y chicos.

Here's the good news: everyone got through dinner without obstructing on the pork roast. Bad news: I thought the roast was a little over done. I think I need a new meat thermometer. Good news: the guys aren't very discriminating, so they thought it was fine. Bad news: The kid's table manners have declined. Like, I swear, he used to know the napkin goes on your lap. As for the old man's, he can't see his food, so he's not averse to picking it up with his fingers. Oy. But all in all, after Thanksgiving, any holiday meal that does not involve anyone hacking it back up in the bathroom we'll call a success.

Last night, for Christmas Eve, I made "Belgian" waffles. Because, historically, I like to make something different for Christmas Eve, something we don't eat every day, but nothing elaborate. Belgian is in quotation marks 'cause I don't actually have a Belgian wafflemaker. I wasn't exactly sure I had a regular wafflemaker, honestly, but I remembered making gingerbread waffles a couple years ago, so there had to be one. In any case, they were Belgian waffles because I put strawberries and whipped cream on them. Ha! My dad says, and this is a verbatim quote, "What is this? IHOP?" N E Way, I thought they weren't quite crisp enough. Maybe I need a new wafflemaker for my biennial waffle forays as well as a meat thermometer. (It couldn't have been operator error.) Again, the guys thought they were fine.

Present-opening was pretty anticlimactic since everyone knew everything they were getting, aside for the guys' stocking stuffers and my dad's bed-in-a-bag. I kind of hate that. There's really no fun in it. Evil Kitty, however, liked both her new toys and the fact that the living room is as of right now full of boxes. So *someone* thought the gift exchange was fun. Also? My dad spelled my name wrong on the envelope he gave me. That was pretty entertaining, I must admit.

The extra special bonus present I gave my dad was letting him wash the dinner dishes. I rinsed the hell out of them and soaked them first. We'll see how that worked out.

So that's my status update. Choke-free, IHOP-full, surprise-less. That's how we roll. I bet you're jellus!

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

I'm jealous that Evil Kitty actually played with her gifts. Spike showed more interest in doping out the source of the kitty laser light than in playing with it...and whacked some of the wrapping. So we tossed him a new catnip mouse. He played, he promptly got stoned and crashed. Send me a cat that gets interesting!

malevolent andrea said...

Evil Kitty loves the little furry triangular-shaped limbless mousies that come like 5 to a pack. The old ones have been chewed so much that the "fur" looks moth-eaten and the lil felt ears have been anniliated. So it was time for a new pack. She's actually more playful now in the winter b/c she won't go outside when there's snow on the ground (diva!), so she's got energy to burn.