Monday, April 20, 2009

sundry

1.) Yesterday, for the first time this year, I was on the Green Line at the same time as people heading to Fenway and, can I just say, the experience hasn't gotten any better with the passage of another long winter. These people who have no idea how to take public transportation need to either stay in their fucking suburbs or suck it up and pay for parking. Because the next cluster of douches in Sox jerseys and douchettes in pink caps who totally block the way out of the train, chatting with each other obliviously while other people try to disembark, are getting an elbow to the soft and unprotected parts from me. Swear to god. You heard it here first. There was this family on the train with me, mom, dad, little girl about 5, and a one year old in the dad's backpack. The baby was getting cranky. She kept spitting out her binky and howling. I thought, sweetie, I know how you feel. I wish it were socially acceptable for me to start yelling on the D train.

2.) I keep getting these free tea samples. Just now I had one that was Earl Gray. I'm not philosophically opposed to Earl Gray, but it's really kind of a weird beverage. I put milk in it, because I always put milk in black tea, and I dunno. That may have been a mistake. It's sorta like drinking milk perfume.

3.) Despite my hatred for the people going to the game yesterday, I actually was in a stellar mood for no particular reason. Giddy, almost. I think I might be having one of those unexplained mood swings again. So I bought myself some frivolous things while I was out: a new candle, earrings, fancy file folders, and a sequined change purse. I am such a girl.

4.) I am reading Russell Brand's book and I am kind of torn. I had heard people raving about it, but either they were just ridiculous fangirls or the book has lost something in translation (from, y'know, British, haha) because it's not *that* funny and/or *that* well-written. Not that I'm not enjoying it exactly. I was just expecting more.

xoxo

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

2) I think Earl Gray is pretty much designed for sugar only (and not much of that) not milk.

It's an English thing (who'd want bergamot scented milk?).

Craig H said...

i've always found that earl gray, like jd drew, is best appreciated by other people.

i was also, by coincidence on the green line between 12:45 and 1:15 yesterday. (yes, it took me 30 minutes for the trip from gummint cennah to kenmowah, only i was on the B train, so i must have missed you). if you ever want to organize a curtis sliwa style guardian T angels vigilante group, i'm your guy.

malevolent andrea said...

Mr Indemnity: That's the thing though. English people put milk in their tea. So why would they invent a tea that is extremely funky when adulterated with dairy? It must be one of those things that does not translate, like Russell Brand's book, haha.

Mr Barma: I *swear to god*, you must have been on the train in front of mine that I just could not squeeze onto when I came up the escalator at Government Center (which is probably just as well.) That might very well have been a B train.

Though, no worries!, I would never, ever put an elbow into *your* soft and unprotected parts, even if we did accidentally find ourselves on the same subway.

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think all English people put milk in all their tea.

Just like all Americans don't put milk and sugar in all their coffee. Depends on the circumstances (and tea).

Uncle said...

Speaking as a slightly dilute British person, most do put milk in their Earl Grey or any black tea. It's an acquired taste...like gin. The indoctrination begins at a very early age, so one gets used to that taste conflict ... admittedly bizarre.

At my last Red Sox game, a clueless suburban mother with two squalling brats let one play on the fucking *floor* of the Green Line car, including spitting out and re-inserting the binkie. Now if they would all just do that....

malevolent andrea said...

Even as a committed non-germophobe and firm adherer to the ten second rule, the idea of anyone touching the floor of a green line train makes me start vaguely hyperventilating. That's just horrible.

malevolent andrea said...

And thanks for the back up on the milk thing. I *knew* British people put milk in their tea pretty much uniformly. Mr Indemnity just thinks he's smarter than me b/c he's actually been there and I haven't. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's not like they serve you the tea with the milk already in it. Its optional, just like with coffee in the US.

Since it is optional, I've gotta think there are right thinking people who keep their cuppa dairy free.

Though a lot of seriously English (and Irish) tea is obviously formulated to work best with milk. Try some PG Tips sometime.

Anonymous said...

You know, you could always go and find out for yourself. It's not like they speak a foreign language there...

Well, ok, it is kind of like they speak a foreign language, but you can usually make it out. And I just saw ads from British Air for $156 each way to the UK.

Uncle said...

No, no...it's Americans who speak the foreign language!

And do not look for logic in the tea-drinking. Keep in mind that "British Cuisine" is the original oxymoron.

malevolent andrea said...

I just read, coincidentally, the other day in a discussion of veganism (don't ask) that actual milk (as opposed to disgusting soy milk) has something in it that reacts with the tannin in black tea and removes its bitterness. So black tea and milk are *supposed* to go together and this combination is probably the pinacle of British cuisine.

And any time any of you want to volunteer to housesit for me and babysit my dad for a week so I can actually go on a vacation, you know how to reach me. As they say in England, cheers, thanks a lot.