Saturday, April 25, 2009

fear my power

So, last night I was talking to my TV in that way that I always do when I'm watching a game in the privacy of my house with my kid, and I said, "Jason Bay"--because I always call Mr Bay by his full name--"Jason Bay, why don't you hit a home run right now and tie this. I *know* you can do it." Next pitch? Yeah, baby. D's yelling and laughing and pointing at me. I do wonder sometimes whether encouraging the belief that I can in fact predict the future in someone who is, let's face it, more prone to delusions than the average person is wise, but y'know, the seduction of being right is just too sweet to resist.

I wish I could say I predicted Youk, but I just could not stay up any longer and went to bed during the top of the 11th. I know, shameful, but I did have to get up and go to my bastard job this morning. If I could turn my awesome psychic powers towards, I dunno, predicting lottery numbers or something, that whole eventuality could be avoided. I'll have to work on it.

xoxo

9 comments:

Craig H said...

I want you to begin concentrating on sending Tito the brain wave that says "JD needs to bat ninth... JD needs to bat ninth..."

malevolent andrea said...

I thought I was supposed to be wishing for Nancy to have back spasms? :-)

Craig H said...

Hey, you're the one with the imagination--imagine away!!! (And try not to think of Julie starting tomorrow in Cleveland...)

malevolent andrea said...

Do you see them walking Youk *right now* to get to Nancy again? Fuck me.

malevolent andrea said...

No, wait! Jacoby stole home. hahaha

And now Nancy actually got a hit. A-fucking-mazing.

Craig H said...

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. "Tight quad" and no Rocco equals gotta put Mr. Jason Bay (or Mikey Lowell) up into the five spot for SURE. Now it's time to start the positive meditations in order to get through the next Julie Lugo era...

Anonymous said...

I missed that Jason Bay homer but I experienced a similar mind thing concerning another Bay homer that tied up a game this year. They say Joe Morgan (former Sox skipper) was absolutely amazing in predicting homers. And my mother used to casually glance over at a game on TV and say, "Oh, he's going to get a double" and more often than comfortable it happened. She predicted Dave Henderson's homer that way, God bless her.

While I'm here, hear hear! to your remarks about Lugo. I won't even put up with infielders who one-hand the ball on my over-30 team. On the other hand, I think your friend Remy utterly lacks the ability to express any thought that might challenge the comprehension of a regular Joe. Good baseball knowledge, yes. But Ned Martin used to quote Shakespeare offhand during late-night broadcasts from the coast, and he possessed a quiet piquant sense of humor that had been burnished in the sands of Iwo Jima, where he fought. The best Remy can do is get precious about the Wally doll.

malevolent andrea said...

1.) Oh, thank you for confirmation that other people have the baseball sixth sense.

2.) I like Jerry because he's a s goofy as I am along with the baseball knowledge. If you people could only hear *my* commentary when I'm watching the game at home (I try hard to keep it in check when I'm with other [normal] people) you would understand. And now I'm so sad he's got cancer :-(

Anonymous said...

I read the news about Jerry this morning and remembered my ungenerous comment. That is a tough tough break. I thought about having seen Jerry about 15 years ago at the press entrance to Fenway smoking a butt. I do hate those things.