Thursday, February 5, 2009

more romance

I'll take a break from the movie reviews soon, promise. But while I'm on the topic! D rented Say Anything, which I had never seen. Why? I dunno. I knew of it, and the iconic image of John Cusack with the boombox, and you know I like Cameron Crowe, but somehow, I just had never watched it.

Now this is a romantic movie. I'm loathe to give it most romantic movie evah status, probably because the two protagonists are eighteen, and we all know eighteen year old love doesn't last forever. But should we be prejudiced against it because of that? Perhaps not. And I suppose I can take points off for the "love growing slowly" thing, since it happens over the course of one summer, but when you are 18, three or four months is a much larger proportion of your total life than it is when you're 46. I mean, these days I blink and the summer is gone, but the summer between graduating high school and starting college did seem to last forever.

But, c'mon now, anyway, what woman would not want a Lloyd Dobler (even if at my age we are a little skeptical about a man being that mature and decent at age 18), and how can you not root for the love between two people who are just...good...in their intentions towards each other and everyone else? Oh, it warms my cold black heart, and not in any treacly way. It's a sweet story without making the viewer gag on syrup.

As an aside, this movie is from 1989, and Lloyd's little nephew is about three in it, so he's D's age. My warm fuzzies were further provoked by the scenes of him "sparring" with Lloyd, 'cause D at that age would absolutely have been in heaven to do that. It brought back such nice nostalgic memories of having a little boy.*** So I can't totally swear that my favorable review here isn't clouded by that either. The search for the most romantic movie ever continues, but if you're looking for something positive about love because you don't get any Valentines or whatever, I totally recommend renting this.

xoxo

***Speaking of which, this morning D was drinking this Kool-Aid drink in a foil pouch with the little straw and I just looked at him. "Are you *enjoying* drinking out of the juice box?" I asked. "Does it bring back good memories of your childhood or something?" He just gave me the shit-eating grin and nodded. "Yup." I don't care. Next time he puts that in my cart, he's paying for it. That shit's expensive. How'm I supposed to afford costly Chinese-made purses when I'm paying for juice boxes?

No comments: