Wednesday, February 4, 2009

i tried to spend money

Really!

I had my Christmas gift cards burning a hole in my...desk...and I really, really need clothes for work, since mostly everything I have is in shreds. (See: previous disgruntled posts about how everything I've bought in the last two to three years has tended to fall apart after ten to twenty washes and sometimes before, no matter what I've paid for it.) So I went shopping today. I went to the giant Macys. I went to the Gap. I went to Banana Republic. I went to Ann Taylor *and* Ann Taylor Loft. I went to JJill. And I went to Anthropologie.

Not only could I not find anything I wanted to buy, I didn't even find anything I wanted to try on. Not on sale. Not at full price. I have never seen such a collection of ugly, hideous garments, store after store, in my life. Oh, there was a bunch of cute Lucky Brand and Free People stuff at Macys, because you know I like that boho yoga-ish crap, but a.) it's probably time for me to give up the idea that I'm not too old for that shit, b.) even with gift cards, there's probably a better use for my money than $70 hoodies and sweatpants with kanji and dragons on them (cutest sweatpants evah, though) and c.) I can't wear that to work anyway, can I? STAY FOCUSED!!!

So instead of buying desperately needed clothes for work, I bought the ::cough:: $200 ::cough:: purse I wanted from Anthropologie. Shut up, it was with gift cards. That's like free money.

Maybe I ought to go over to the darkside and start wearing scrubs.

xoxo

11 comments:

crispix67 said...

Before going over to the dark side...go to Goodwill or another local thrift store.

Granted you may have to spend cash not gift cards, but you wont be spending alot of cash and you can get sooo much more for your money.

Happy Hunting! :)

Anonymous said...

a.) You love hoodies so much you should get yourself background work in hip-hop videos.

b.) It's people like you, refusing to spend money on ugly--but currently stylish--clothing that are causing the current recession. You've got to spend till it hurts--and not on some Guangzhao made handbag, neither. Even if it is a really great shade of green leather.

c) If your feeling of personal economic responsibility means you'll finally break down and go fugly in solidarity with your fellow citizens' current plight, you may as well go with LLBean and Lands' End. 'Cause the styles may be from Nome, not Milan, but they sure do last for more than ten or twenty washings... witness my wardrobe, for example. :-PPPP

malevolent andrea said...

Ms Crispix, I have a completely illogical, and unfortunate phobia about wearing strangers' clothing that prevents me from thrifting, consignment stores, and even most vintage. It was only the hypnotic pull of my Gunne Sax sundress that allowed me to make the exception for it last summer, and then only b/c I could convince myself that all the cooties from 1977 were dead, hahaha.

malevolent andrea said...

Mr Indemnity,

a.) Yes! There is no garment that cannot be improved by the addition of a hood. Well, no upper-body garment. Hooded pants don't really work.

b.) My beautiful handbag was indeed made in China. I just checked the tag. But as I told you previously, all the ugly ugly clothing I looked at yesterday was made in China or Vietnam, too. I think this has something to do with it falling apart in twenty washes or less. When all my garments were made in Guatamala a few years ago, the workmanship was much better.

c.)If my clothes were from ::shudder:: LL Bean, I'd be praying for them to fall apart sooner rather than later.

Anonymous said...

c.) You're such an elitist! :-PPPP

People in Maine need jobs too, you know. It's not their fault all the fashion designers move 400 miles south at the first opportunity. ;-)

Craig H said...

Hey, don't you like my Bean coats and lined cotton shirts???

Though I will admit they've stopped carrying a lot of their better winter gear already, and it's pissing me off regarding replacements.

malevolent andrea said...

I'm not sure you guys understand. While it may be okay for a man to shop at LL Bean, for a heterosexual woman to wear their clothing when not actually, y'know, ice fishing or the like is akin to slapping a big ol' bumper sticker on your forehead that says Never Wants to Have Sex Again.

And despite the well-documented fact that I have completely given up this winter and have been dressing solely for comfort, not style or attractiveness, that is still not a statement I am willing to have my clothing make for me.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...

Seems from my Cambridge observations that plenty of local women wear LL Bean and have every intention of having sex again.

Admittedly, it's not heterosexual sex, but, you know, you take the opportunities your clothing makes for you. Could open up whole new vistas.

malevolent andrea said...

I already put the hetero disclaimer in there, dude.

Plus, you may or may not have noticed, but look around you, both in the neighborhood in which you live and that World Renowned University at which you "work". Do the vast majority of those people know how to dress themselves? I think not.

Craig H said...

Do not underestimate the power of the male imagination, and the nostalgic pleasure reflex in getting to unwrap something before enjoying it, in possibly bundling yourself up against your better fashion sense. (And, you know how even the faintest whiff of lesbianism drives us hetero guys crazy). You don't even have to plaster the word "Juicy" across your butt to have the point gotten across--just flannel yourself up and talk about mammograms. You won't even have to flash those baby blues, cuz we'll already be too busy extrapolating breast sizes and making our move.

Uncle said...

I'm enjoying a very private and hysterical horselaugh over this thread.

Our host is, as usual, on to something.