Tuesday, February 3, 2009

more pissing and moaning

I'm sorry. I hate to carry on with the whining but I am just so fucking discouraged.

This morning? I leave my house bright and early, wearing my snow boots--the expensive Timberland ones that I would be so very happy with except for the fact that they have these straps on them that snap but which never stay snapped and therefore drag on the ground or flap against the boot--thinking to myself as I walk down the sidewalk that I am so very unhappy that just as almost all the snow and ice is gone off the places I need to traverse, it's going to snow again in a few short hours. Look at how nice and clear these sidewalks are now, I think to myself as I turn the corner and start down the hill. Whereupon I hit a patch of black ice and wipe out, skinning both knees, the palm of my right hand and three fingers on the left. A cursory inspection shows me I am bleeding and am not going to magically stop bleeding in the next 7 seconds, so I turn around, go home, wash up and put five bandaides on my various wounds. Then I re-leave for work. And my left boot--the snow boot with the tread on it which you'd think might keep a person from wiping out on the sidewalk--won't stay snapped. I used up my day's total quota of profanity before 7:35 am.

Winter can go away right now. This is the second time in less than two weeks that I've injured myself just trying to get to work in the morning. (I twisted my left ankle--not the right one I'd already sprained last fall and which everyone keeps telling me to be really careful about because it's so easy to re-sprain--climbing over a mound of frozen snow trying to cut through the upper parking lot to get from the street to my building one Saturday, and so now it's a toss-up every morning which ankle is gonna be stiffer when I wake up, the one I badly sprained in the fall or the one I mildly sprained ten days ago.) And this despite wearing the ugly sensible boots/shoes that make me feel so very, very attractive every day.

I can't take it any more. There is no amount of positive thinking that can overcome the fact that this does, in fact, suck. And I'll be shoveling more later. Son of a bitch.

xoxo

3 comments:

Craig H said...

Two suggestions, and an immediate duck upon making them: arnica, and condo living. ;-)

Still units available here in Shangri-Lowell!

malevolent andrea said...

Arnica? What's that? :-PPPP

Uncle said...

Consider my plight. Long ago, I moved to Massachusetts from the frozen North, sure that I had left this twice a week snow crap behind...and still it has followed me! BWAAA!!

What we learned to do with boots of any kind was just suck it up and walk in permanently damp feet. Oh yeah: it does suck.

(See my blog.)