Sunday, February 22, 2009

cardio-related matters

As you might have inferred from my exercise-playlist-making, I've recently started to push myself again on working out. By which I mean, more frequently, more consistently, and harder. I've been particularly inspired to push myself on the cardio, and it's been working: I get about forty minutes into the hour and instead of wanting to die, I'm pretty fucking flooded with endorphins. I used to joke about being endorphin-challenged in relation to other, um, activities that people claimed would kick them in, but either my body has learned to make them better or it's only torture by recumbent bike that they respond to. In any case, score! I've been ending my hour workout sweaty, panting, and grinning all week. It's a nice little high.

I was wondering why, for one thing, after slacking on the workouts all fall and early winter (I blame my ankle sprain, but "laziness" works, too), it's been so relatively easy and painless to ramp the cardio up. And I realized that, with the hormonal mess I've been in for the last six or eight months, and consequently the much less frequent than normal periods I've been having, when I went for my physical last month, it was the first time in lots of years that I haven't been borderline, or actually, anemic. (I had a ferritin level of *4* at one point. And yet no one wanted to investigate why my periods were so heavy. Bastards.) I guess cardio is a lot easier when your body actually has the right amount of hemoglobin. Huh. Go figure.

So, anyway, and this is really weird to me too, several times over the past month when I've just been out walking, weather-permitting, I've had this strange urge to run. (Well, okay, jog. Slowly.) Now, I have never been a runner. I like to say I'm not built for it: big boobs make it uncomfortable physically and, frankly, psychologically. I'm pretty scarred by the crap I had to listen to every time I *tried* to jog when I was a teenager. But, fuck it, sports bra technology has come a long way, they invented the iPod so you don't really need to hear what gets yelled at you from cars anymore, plus I'm old, which cuts down on, if not eliminates, the harrassment. So I'm thinking maybe I *do* want to give into the urge and start running a bit, just as an occasional alternate endorphin-releasing activity. But I need the heavy-duty sports bra and it can't be one of those ones that pull on, because if there is anything more frustrating than trying to get one of those off when you're sweaty, I can't imagine what it might be.

I started perusing them online this evening and it's pissing me off already. Champion, which is probably the biggest maker, apparently doesn't even manufacture them in my size. I cannot understand why the concept of a small woman with large breasts is so hard to fathom. We're not like leprachauns or yeti. We do exist. Then, on Athleta, there are a few bras that actually do come in my size. Some of them have molded cups. WTF? Why would anyone want molded cups in a sports bra? That's bad design right there. The ones that do come in my size, do hook in the back, do have normal underwire, and don't have molded cups range hugely in price. Will the $70 one support me 40% better than the $40 one? Who knows?

I think I'll go look at more and confuse myself further.

xoxo

5 comments:

Craig H said...

I think those ladies that snuck in to fight during the Revolutionary War and Civil War just wrapped themselves up real tight with torn up bedsheets or something.

Have you considered soliciting volunteers to jog behind you and hold them up manually?

Jean said...

As a large chested sister myself, I'd advocate for the $70 one. I have one called Shock Absorber. I don't know who makes it. Check out figleaves.com or herroom.com if you haven't already.

malevolent andrea said...

Thank you, Jean! I was considering this one anyway:

http://www.athleta.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4646&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=8&iSubCat=500&iProductID=4646

and, lo and behold, it's a Shock Absorber, so I think I am sold.

(Note to my other readers, and *you know who you are*: See! Actual helpful advice, not snark. Let that be an example to y'all.
:-PPPPPP)

malevolent andrea said...

Also! The other article I read in "More" yesterday was about this bra shop you can go to in Paris, run by the great-granddaughter of some famous corsetier who supposedly invented the bra in 1880-something, and they will, for only $800 American dollars, make you a custom designed and measured bra that will be the most comfortable, most flattering, and most beautiful undergarment you could ever conceive of.

And *she* was sniffing in the article about molded cup bras being an abomination against god, good for hiding your nipples and nothing else, and in fact, of generally being of a shape that conforms to no one's actual breast shape. "I don't make jeans. What does Calvin Klein think he's doing making brassieres?" hahaha

Anyway, it was very reassuring to have my opinion validated by *the* expert. :-) :-(

Craig H said...

Now THERE's a career path!