Wednesday, August 6, 2008

your word choice,

she is not so good.

Saw a little news item on the TV today. Somewhere out west, a couple woke to find a mountain lion in their bedroom, which then dragged their dog out into the yard and ate it. Or something. Authorities tracked the cougar for a whole day before they captured and "euthanized" it.

Oh really? That's a hell of a *euphemism*, because I don't think any of us could pretend with a straight face that the killing was done for the mountain lion's own good. Excellent job, Cable News Writer Guy or Girl!

xoxo

6 comments:

Uncle said...

I suppose "shot its arse off" or, working from the other end, "blew its fuckin head off," would not be sufficiently sensitive for today's media.

We can only trust it was the right mountain lion, and that Deerslayer didn't lead everyone to an innocent bystander. Do we get autopsy results?

malevolent andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
malevolent andrea said...

That's what made it so funny/unsettling, I think. There was the usual overtone of cable (or local) "omg! you could be killed in your own bed by a cougar! tonight! and your little dog too!" fearmongering and hysteria, but then they had to protect our delicate sensibilities with a ridiculous euphemism.

Or perhaps Cable News Writer Guy or Girl just doesn't know what euthanize means.

malevolent andrea said...

That's my deleted comment btw. Blogger ate my comment twice earlier, so I did a "testing" before I typed it for the third time.

And then I typo'd the third attempt anyway.

And writing a whole nother comment to explain the one you deleted makes no fucking sense, I realize. But there you go.

Craig H said...

lucky for us, we're not getting any more explanations or excuses, or this comment thing could really get out of hand. ;-)

malevolent andrea said...

Go on, you just keep on torturing me, Mr Barma. No problem! It's just fine! :-)