Sunday, August 3, 2008

picturerama, or boho paradise illustrated

Remodeling pictures, finally. Here's the view from the bottom of the bed. The curtains are much more plum than they appear (on my monitor, anyway) and those sheets are more gold than bronze. The picture on the left wall is the Morocco etsy print. The yellow picture on the right is a feng shui charm, which I guess I need, because it's hella bad feng shui to have your bed blocking a window. Both the nightstands are crappy tables I repainted. My ugly/cute bordello lamp's going on the one on the right.


Here's a closeup of the lefthand nightstand. That's the possible wedding pic of my grandmother. The other picture is a collage from an etsy artist, whose work you can also find at cobaltika.com.


My desk that I painted and chair I reupholstered. Isn't the fabric beautiful? Notice the faux finished wall behind it.

Addendum. Because I was asked, here's more of a closeup of the wall. I dunno. I don't think that really captures it. It doesn't look that shiny in real life. I think the upcomong picture where you can see the wall behind the bookcase is more representative of how it looks in life.

My new/old bookshelf that was assembled with very little cursing. The four pictures in the square frames on the top are postcards of New Orleans cemeteries that I bought down there in 1998 and which were just stuck in a drawer till now. The picture facing outward is another cobaltika collage, on a plaque. It's probably ultimately going to hang over my desk, but I ran out of hangers for heavy pictures.


Cheapo old printer stand now piled with folders of massage stuff and piles of manuscripts. Included to show how the desk and the bookshelves are in relation to each other.


You can't probably see it with the reflection of the flash, but that's one of Mr Indemnity's sepia New Orleans pictures framed and hanging between my two closets.


The problematic chest at the foot of the bed. Now with bonus remodeling supplies on top!

What Evil Kitty did to my carpet when she was a particularly evil baby...

but how could you be mad at that face????
And as a bonus! My Mother's Day tulips I said I'd put up someday. Are those the most gorgeous colors or what?

xoxo

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I've mentioned this before, but if you didn't call Evil Kitty "evil kitty" she might not feel obligated to live up to her name.

However, your room looks very tiny. Everything looks good, but I think you either need a larger room or a larger camera so we can make our aesthetic judgements with more, or at least larger, evidence.

However, in these photos the look/colors on the refinished chair and desk really capture my attention :-).

malevolent andrea said...

haha I'm not looking for judgment (Whaddya think, this is "Rate My Space" or something???), I just wanted to give my readers a visual of what I've been yapping about for two months. I already know it looks awesome ;-) even with those other walls still beige and the gross carpet.

I don't know if it's apparent, or if you thought it was a trick of light in the photography, but while the desk/chair and the nightstands are painted the same base coat, the nightstands have a glaze on top of them that makes them lighter and more shimmery than the desk/chair are.

Also, something else needs to go against the wall where the bookcase is. There's a blank space there.

Anonymous said...

I thought you had a multi-million $$$ idea with ratemyspace.com, but turns out HGTV already thought of it. Damn.

Actually, when looking at those photos, to me it's the desk and chair that look more reflective than the nightstands, which look more matte. You, of course, know what they actually look like, so I'm sure you can see things I can't.

I have lots more photos, if you want to blow one up to mammoth size for by the bookcase. Maybe something from the Yucatan with a door?

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, thanks, but I'm not talking about something on the wall, I'm talking about something against the wall. There's room for another piece of furniture there--bookcase or cabinet or such--and I need storage.

malevolent andrea said...

Wow, the pics look completely different on either of my two computers at work than they do my laptop at home. Huh.

Evil Kitty looks beautiful no matter what, though.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you never told me Evil Kitty was gray. ;-)

Just try to get a photo you send for printing to match the colors on your computer screen!

Macs do it somewhat better, cause in charging more they can afford higher quality screens that can be more accurately calibrated to each other and against general color standards... but even there, if you really want a print to match, you've got to get hold of calibration gear that costs a couple hundred, minimum.

And serious Art Director types continue to use CRTs (more and more difficult to find), as LCDs still don't match them for color accuracy or gamut.

crispix67 said...

Luuvvv your bed...and yes, Evil Kitty *is* beautiful...even with her glare that could melt steel. LOL