Wednesday, August 27, 2008

stream of consciousness

1.) I cut my grass this morning wearing leopard print velour Old Navy pj pants, a terra cotta and white abstract print hoodie, sunglasses, ponytail, and flipflops. If more of my neighbors were actually home during the day, I'd probably get voted off the island. Also? Every time I mow the lawn in flipflops, I seriously cannot get my feet clean afterwards. And yet I repeat the behavior. One would think I am unconcerned with foot hygiene or something.

2.) Through the miracle of online tracking (okay, alright, it's not a miracle, it's just a marvel of modern technology), I know that my new piece of furniture from overstock is on the FedEx truck *right now*. Isn't that exciting? It is so. Shut up.

3.) I think The Internet is about to get me in trouble with home improvement projects again. Venetian Plaster by Behr. Look it up. Also? Articles about how easy it is to rip up your old wall-to-wall carpeting? Probably not the best thing for me to read.

4.) I bought some "Roman shades" at the Tarzhay yesterday but I haven't tried putting them up yet. I had very little awareness that these things even existed, but if you look online (or in person) at all the places that sell shades and blinds like Home Depot, Lowes and Target, really your only choices these days are wooden blinds, faux wooden blinds, or Roman shades in various materials. Apparently the window treatment world has changed since the last time I paid attention to it.

5.) Not that I ever paid much attention to it. My ex-sister-in-law used to rip on me when we were young because none of the apartments her brother and I lived in ever had drapes. What can I say? I hated drapes. I also had one of those kitty cat kitchen clocks with the tail that wags and the eyes that go back and forth. I took a lot of crap about that too. My decorating sense has always been misunderstood. ::sniff::

6.) I don't care. I still like Bill Clinton. And I'm chortling right now about what he's probably going to say tonight. What can I say about that, either? Men who are charming troublemakers are my weakness.

7.) Were you expecting me to say anything intelligent or serious about politics? hahahahahaha

8.) Ha.

9.) As an aside to #6, I was thinking the other day (triggered by a particularly charming patient of mine) that six year old boys are the most funny and charming creatures on earth, which I'm sure is nature's way of preventing you from killing them, and that almost everything I love about adult men is directly related to their inner six year old boys. I said "almost." Shut up.

10.) I came back downstairs last night and it was the 8th inning, the Yankees had two guys on with no outs, and Oki was pitching. And then nothing bad happened!

11.) I just finished watching the last season of The Wire that M2 loaned me. A little disappointed. But Marlo and Prop Joe's last scene together (I won't spoil it if you haven't watched it but plan to)? OMFG. The acting, man, the acting. It's really hard to come to any conclusion but that the only reason this show never won craploads of Emmys is the predominantly black cast. It's great though to see the actors that played Stringer Bell and Omar, to name two, getting movie work at least, because they are fucking unbelievably talented. (Has Bodie been in anything? He was great, too. I may have mentioned, but I cried my eyes out when he got killed in season 4.)

12.) My blogaversary is coming up!

13.) Semi-serious political talk: my dad actually said the other day, in relation to Hillary, that he found it astounding that America has never elected a woman president or even vice president when countries like, say, Pakistan have, and what the hell is wrong with this country? This is an 82 year old, blue collar, Catholic, high school educated, nonliberal but pretty much Democratic guy, who is frankly pretty fucking sexist. And yet he sees it. So what the hell is wrong with this country?

14.) All this typing, and yet the FedEx truck isn't here yet. Goddamn it.

Addendum:

15.) Yes, it has been. And my back is complaining after Mr D and I dragged the 75 lb Bombay chest up a flight of stairs. I have to attach the feet and I also have to vacuum up a cubic shitload of little styrofoam pieces off my hall carpet, but I'm resting. Also, I knew you all were breathlessly awaiting an update.

16.) Did you know that spellcheck doesn't recognize terra cotta or hoodie? (Is hoodie in the dictionary yet? It should be.)

xoxo

3 comments:

Uncle said...

"Men who are charming troublemakers are my weakness."

Um hmm. That does explain at least a segment of your audience here.

(ducks)

malevolent andrea said...

It explains much of my life, but you've been reading along, so you'd know that :-)

Anonymous said...

Real Venetian Plaster:

http://www.venetianplasters.com

And don't ask how I ran across it. Google Mail has very amusing links.

I do think it could look way cool.