Friday, August 22, 2008

i feel remiss

I promised we'd go back to bitching and ranting, and yet, yesterday, I had nuthin'.

So today I thought I'd just take a wee moment to complain about how here it is the end of August and there's a bunch of things I haven't done this summer. I think I'll even put it in a list form, because I haven't done nearly enough of that either. Without further ado.

  • Had any gazpacho at all, whether homemade or restaurant-purchased.
  • Gone walking down the beach after dinner nearly enough.
  • Eaten at a sidewalk table more than a couple times.
  • Worn my white jeans, my platform sandals, or my sexah fuchsia dress enough.
  • Worn my vintage at all. But now it fits.
  • Gone to either Six Flags or Water Country. Very very sad.
  • Taken any time off from work at all, other than the Saturday after 4th of July and the days I went to MFR.

The good thing is that, freed from the tyranny of back-to-school, I'm totally aware that we've got a good six or eight more weeks of warm to warmish weather in which to do many of these things, so no worries.

Oh, but while I am here, let me just get one more complaint in. With the beginning of August comes the water bill and the property taxes due. That gets paid and there's a sigh of relief and I (foolishly) think, okay, no big bills next month. Except, yeah, both my life insurance premium and my AMTA membership comes due in September. Goddamn it.

xoxo

4 comments:

Craig H said...

streetside cafe culture remains alive and vibrant in beautiful downtown shangri-lowell, so don't hesitate to rely on me up for help on #3. (no gazpacho that i know of, though, which is too bad cuz gazpacho is perfect sidewalkside...) no beaches, neither, unless you count the one on the merrimack that i'm suspicious isn't what was in mind for #2... can i offer sidewalk snacks in trade for sitting across from that fuchsia number that, like a lot of other wonderful things around here, hasn't been supplied yet with pictures?

Anonymous said...

I suspect that many of the things you haven't done (or done much) are directly related to the frequency and unpredictability of all the rain we've been having this summer.

Why bother to take time off from work if you'll get caught in a thunderstorm? Why go walking down to the beach if you need an umbrella? Why eat at a sidewalk table if the chair is still dripping wet from the last thunderstorm? Why bother going to Water Country if all you need to get a surprise soaking is walking outside anywhere without an umbrella?

Maybe we're finally going to be hitting a good spell... which probably explains why every beach resort in New England is totally booked up this weekend!

malevolent andrea said...

Why, Mr Barma, if you think really really hard, you may realize that you *did* already see the fuchsia dress. And gave it a thumbs up. :-)

malevolent andrea said...

Mr Indemnity, were you guys trying to go away and your plans are being cruelly thwarted? That's not good.

But, yes, you are right about the freaking thunderstorms which have occurred almost every single day just as I'm leaving work putting a ::ahem:: damper on the after-dinner walking.