Sunday, August 3, 2008

do I need this?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Dark-Brown-Leather-Storage-Bench/1083500/product.html?

I've been looking at it for three days, ever since overstock sent me a sale email with it in it.

Pros: that's a great price, especially with $2.95 shipping and no sales tax. Also, it's gotten many great reviews, so I feel reasonably confident that it will look as nice in person as it does in the pic. Plus, it's leather; c'mon.

Cons: I said I was just going to paint the chest at the foot of my bed that I already have and worry about its broken hinges later. I will need both a new computer and a new refrigerator at some point, probably sooner rather than later, so I should cool it on the other big ticket items. Face it, I'll probably never use that beautiful leather bench for the purposes for which it was really designed.

Rebuttal: if I gave away my old chest on freecycle to someone who both knows how to fix the hinges and couldn't afford to buy a $300 chest/bench, think of both the good sense that makes and the good karma points I'd (w)rack up. I could probably convince my dad to buy the new refrigerator, especially since I haven't really been asking him to contribute to that many of the bills since the winter heating season ended. And, you know, never say never.

Rebuttal to rebuttal: I hate to ask my dad for anything, since he helped me a lot with the bills towards the end of school when I was running out of money and was really poor; I think we haven't caught up with that yet. And, yes, hope springs eternal, but reality bites.

I seriously am torn on what to do!

xoxo

5 comments:

Uncle said...

Don't ask me for an unbiased opinion. My middle initials are C.B., as in "cheap bastard." I'd fix.

malevolent andrea said...

but.it's.leather.

Why does no one enable me? Why? Why?

Anonymous said...

'Cause leather is for wearing, not for benches.

Everybody knows that, that's why Overstock has it available. :P

Maybe now that you have mad re-upholstering skillz, you could just leather up your broken chest?

malevolent andrea said...

I'll have you know that while I'm screwing around here this morning, vaguely thinking about getting ready to go to work, I've been watching HGTV, and on one of those organization shows, the organizer gave the family *that exact same bench* for their family room. Swear to god. It's decorator approved!!!!

Uncle said...

Maybe if you had, say, a leather throw on the otherwise gorgeous bed, I could see that item merging better.
(Qualified enabling.)