Thursday, August 7, 2008

the crazy

I stumbled upon an interesting blog post and set of responses to it yesterday when clicking on links from links from links. The original writer's point was about people being made to feel guilty or ashamed for taking medication, whether pain meds, sleep aids, or antidepressants, and the puritanical "oh, it's just a crutch!" attitude. Yeah, well, no matter what you think of the pharmaceutical industry--and you all know I think it's a deeply problematic business, despite my sucking at the teat of free pens, sticky notes, and chicken kabob salads at work, or those business trips to the Caribbean I tagged along on with the ex who worked for a major drug company--the fact remains that if you break a leg, you need a crutch, and if you go a few weeks having three or four hours sleep a night and see what that fucking feels like, physically and emotionally, you'd be happy for a "crutch" for that too while you work on what the root cause might be.

But what I really want to talk about is the rabidly anti-antidepressant people who come out of the woodwork whenever discussions like this come up, mostly people who have tried them themselves, hated them, came off them, and now insist that they're bad bad bad and no one should take them. Which is so silly, really. To say that because something was worthless for you, it's worthless for everyone--especially in the face of people specifically telling you, no, Prozac saved my life--is, like, the height of arrogance and dismissiveness. And what I find fascinating is the people who say, antidepressants (or other psychiatric drugs) "changed their personalities." This was ably addressed in part by a bunch of other blog commenters who agreed, yeah! they changed my personality, too, and I'm glad, because before I was a miserable mood-swingy bitch or a crying-at-the-drop-of-a-hat basketcase (or whatever.)

Well, it's no secret that I've been on antidepressants and off antidepressants over the past twelve years. And while Unmedicated Depressed Andrea is a different person than Medicated Andrea, Medicated Andrea is *not* a different person than Unmedicated Non-Depressed Andrea. But I'll say this: Unmedicated maybe-a-little-depressed-and-anxious Andrea in 2008 *is* a totally different person than the Unmedicated Andrea of, say, 1990, simply because of the "crutch" effect. Having experienced what being not-crazy on drugs feels like has enabled me to deal better with the crazy, on or off drugs. It's like, when you're a little paranoid and over-sensitive and not-quite-rational, you don't realize it; once it's been taken away pharmaceutically, you can see that it wasn't quite rational, and in the future, you can (or, okay, *I* can) recognize that feeling again, and go, oh! yeah! not thinking right! emotions not quite in synch with reality!

I think that's kinda the idea of CBT, but never having had CBT, only having figured it out my own self, I couldn't tell you for sure. But having had that crutch drug when I needed it, has made me able to make changes with or without it.

I'll also say this, about D. I cannot tell whether it's the illness, having the illness properly medicated, or just the maturation process, but his personality has changed in some ways. He's always had a sort of underlying sweetness and sensitivity to his nature, but especially when he was a teenager, that was covered up with a layer of macho bullshit. Whether it was being really sick, or being really sick and getting better, or growing up, or maybe just being out of his peer group, but that's been stripped away. In a way, it's wonderful; I see his kindness and his consideration to other people and I'm proud of him, of his basic niceness. And in a way it's worrisome; I hope he is out there in the world again someday, but if he's going to be, he's going to have to relearn those walls.

Holy digression, Batman! You all will have to pretend I tied this one up into a cohesive thesis. Or, y'know, not.

xoxo

2 comments:

crispix67 said...

Hugggs to you for this blog post.

I have been on antidepressants since 1992 off and on. Some worked great (Wellbutrin) some didnt work at all and had bad side effects (Zoloft) and some took away my orgasms and lost their effectiveness (Effexor) combined with CBT (it is a wonderful thing- get a copy of "Feeling Good" by David Burns) over the years they have saved my life.

2 1/2 years ago...I had come out of a psych ward after not being able to talk myself out of suicidal thoughts (well, I guess taking myself to the ER instead of crashing my car or walking out onto 270 was technically talking myself out of it)and spedning a week getting my meds adjusted and learning that I wasnt as messed up as others in this world, and thanking God I at least had a couple friends and a home to go to. At that time, a psychiatrist wanted to set me up for an implant of a sort of pacemaker for the brain, which would help with my intractable depression. I said "Uh, no thanks" and continued on my meds and occasional therapy.

Fast forward thru a major change, moving to Atlanta...add in a friend who sees the amazing person inside me and helps me see her too...add in some yoga, healthy eating, exercise...and most important...learning to disarm the negative thoughts and fears that have held me back for years, and still do if I let my guard down...
and you get...me...off all antidepressants and prescriptions for the first time since 1992.
Me..who yeah, when I get tired and run down I fall back on old habits and thoughts...but for the most part...I am happy.

I think people expect to be happy all the time..and their doctors do too..so they ask for and are handed out those pills too easily at times. Some people just need a short term help. Others need years and years.

I was always told by my mom...and others...just to snap out of it and quit being lazy when I was depressed. They dont realize...it seems so simple...but when youre in the darkness...in the very deep center of it and you cant see past the next hour, let alone see your way out...well..you *cant* just snap out of it.You need help to see the light...and judging and telling me "Youve got to help yourself" is not gonna help.

Huggs

malevolent andrea said...

Ms Crispix, thanks so much for sharing that in here.

I've written (many times!) that people who've never had an episode of clinical depression have no idea what it feels like. So they conflate it with emotions they're familiar with--sadness, grief--when in reality it's a whole different thing altogether. And too often they think you can just "cheer up!" Feh.

Anyway, they wanted to give you a VNS? I think that's really interesting. Some of my patients have them for seizures, but I know they're using them for intractable depression now too. I can understand why you'd be loathe to go that route, especially since it *is* still really a new thing, but I think that's kind of one of my hopes for my son--that they'd find something like that that would work for his condition. Clozaril has literally saved his life, but the side effects long-term are worrisome.