Friday, August 8, 2008

"speak the Latin, speak the Latin!"

So, when I've been looking at furniture online, I've come across the descriptor "parawood" and, using my ::ahem:: fancy Catholic school education, assumed this was some newfangled term for particleboard or similar and mentally crossed the item off the list of possibilities. You know...paraprofessional, paralegal, parawood. Almost but not quite the real thing. Wood's lil helper.

However, thanks to the fine folks at American Unfinished Furniture, as of tonight I now know that parawood is actually a type of real wood, hard wood, from Malaysian rubber trees that no longer produce latex. (And thus environmentally correct, even.) Swear to god!

I'm thinking maybe they should really give it another name. Or are we just assuming the average furniture buyer today forgot all their Latin roots the day after they took their SATs?

xoxo

2 comments:

Craig H said...

Except, "para" is Greek... ;-)

malevolent andrea said...

Goddamn it. All that tuition money was a waste?

Oh, man, I even looked it up because I was like, wait, is that Greek or Latin? Of course, I only looked it up on the internet b/c I was too lazy to go get a frigging dictionary. (In my defense, I didn't have a snappy Ab Fab quote to use as a title if it was Greek.)

I'll never trust the internet again. Next you all will be telling me parawood *isn't* really from a tree and the internet lied to me about that too. Son of a bitch.