Friday, August 20, 2010

when work is really boring

...like today and yet I don't want to take off early and waste up my ET even though there's a million things I could be doing at home, you know what that leads to, don't you? Useless things on the interwebs!

And so it came to pass that in the midst of reading about a million different things about how to best exercise, what kind of exercise to do, how often to do it, how long to do it, how intensely to do it, how and what to eat before, after, and when you aren't, etc etc etc (and believe me, there are a lot of etc's--this is a topic which is debated with a fervor and zealotry approaching or surpassing any of your major world religions), Andrea came across several different tools that claimed to estimate your body fat percentage by certain measurements along with your weight and age and height and sex. Different tools had different measurements, but in the majority of them I got 23 point something. One I got, like 12, so obviously their algorithm is screwed up, and in one, I got 31, which again...something definitely wrong there. But most of the others were in the 23 range with one slightly lower at 22. Of course, these are just guesstimates and not to be taken too seriously, but I was happy to now be in the "fitness" category. We'll take our positive reinforcement where we can get it, yo.

And speaking of which, I finished day 3 week 1 of c25k yesterday (on to week 2 tomorrow!), and for the first time I did it outside. Never fucking again if I can possibly help it. I know running/walking outside is supposed to be more difficult than running/walking on the treadmill anyway because your body has to make all these microcorrections due to slight unevenness in the terrain. But this was grim. When I'm doing it on the treadmill and the cue comes to run, I actually smile, 'cause that's the fun part. After the first couple intervals yesterday, it was more like, oh, fuck, no, it can't be time to run again. I think a large part of it is that without the treadmill to keep me on pace I both walk slower and run faster outside. I especially run faster when some guy who's *actually* running blows by me. Isn't that human nature? "Wait! Seriously, I can run faster than this! I'm just supposed to be pacing myself!" I didn't end up any sweatier or breathing any harder than I do on the treadmill, it just felt subjectively that much more difficult and unpleasant. But I made it through without any cheating, bitches! Cardio is so much easier than yoga. (Says the girl who falls out of tree pose every single time. But we all have our own strengths.)

xoxo

No comments: