Saturday, January 30, 2010

the neutral person

As I've probably mentioned, part of the metta meditation involves sending lovingkindness to a "neutral person," someone you have neither positive nor negative feelings about. The most fascinating part of this to me is how difficult it is to actually find such a person.

I tried at first to do it with the various guys who work at my 7-11. But, no. I've got definite feelings towards them solely from the one minute a day I might spend interacting with them. That guy's nice and friendly, that one's *really* sweet, that one's probably in Al-Quada... Similarly with bus drivers. She's a sweetie, he's always so nice, that one drives like a maniac, that one never acknowledges anyone... The only ones who are truly neutral make so little impression, I couldn't even conjure up a face to keep in mind during the meditation.

Forget anyone I have to spend any more significant time with than that. They all get categorized into love/like/like-but-they-have-the-potential-to-annoy me/don't like. Sometimes these people jump categories fairly fluidly (like the dad of my patient yesterday who was basically mocking me to his kid for saying "wicked easy" [douche!] but then later thanked me profusely for my help [you're forgiven, douche.]) But that doesn't mean they don't get slotted.

So mainly I've been doing people at work whom I see around and in the halls all the time but never have to deal with in any meaningful way. I have to give them nicknames for the mantra like "scanner girl" or "conference room key lady" since mostly I don't even know their real names.

Anyway, try it yourself. Not the meditation per se, but try to come up with a few people you have absolutely no feelings or opinion about. It's kinda fascinating.

xoxo

No comments: