Sunday, January 10, 2010

hipsters outta control

Thwarted--thwarted, I tell you!--in my attempt to see "Avatar" at the IMAX last night (indeed, it was impossible to get tickets for any time this weekend, which, *how* many weeks has this movie been out now? sigh), I ended up instead at Trina's Starlight Lounge in Inman Square. Oh, what a self-consciously "cool" place. The conceit is that it's supposed to look like a 60s era dive bar. I guess the building it is in *was* a dive bar. But they also serve food, some of which is Southern (grits, cornbread). Not sure exactly how that fits with the theme. And then some of the food is hot dogs, hamburgers, "pressed sandwiches." (Because all hipsters require paninis. Okay by me. I also like a panini. ) I guess the food is all supposed to be, y'know, "ironic." I had mac n' cheese, which was quite good. However! They did not have any desserts. How the fuck can they fail to have, like, some jello or Rice Crispie treats? Ironic desserts are not difficult. Total FAIL there.

But, yeah, good cheapish mac n' cheese and cheapish beer. I suppose I could put up with the outta control hipsterism and the lack of whoopie pies and eat there again. Our server was wearing a leopard print hoodie. That's gotta count for something.

xoxo

No comments: