Thursday, October 22, 2009

variiiiiiious

I don't think I've done a half-assed Things n' Stuff post in awhile and you know you want one, babeh. So here goes.

1.) Tree disgruntlement! I have this tree in front of my house (the one that drops all those leaves I gotta rake? yeah, that one) which is not *my* tree. It's the city's. There are an errant few branches from it that are hanging over the sidewalk and almost onto my "lawn." All summer I've been making grumbly noises about calling the DPW and bitching that they ought to come trim the damn thing. Well, imagine my surprise (just imagine it!) when I came home the other night (after dark, because I worked late and it gets dark early now ::sob::) and my dad said, "They were out trimming the trees on the street today." Hmm, thought I, I wonder why it didn't register to me that the hazardous tree branch was gone when I came up my sidewalk? I must just have been tired and spacing! Oh, no, no, no, no. The next day, in daylight, I see that the city came and trimmed the branches from around where they were growing near the telephone wires *and that's it*. Really, DPW workers? Really? You were out there trimming trees and you only did the bare minimum required of you? Is it my responsibility to trim *your* tree where it is overgrowing my property? Do I not pay a crapload of taxes, lazy DPW douches? Sigh.

2.) Guilt! So, I had yet another doctor's appointment today, the timing of which I could not choose (i.e. "We want to see you back in two weeks and this is the only thing we have.") So, I blocked out my time in work. I was originally thinking/planning that I could go into work for part of the afternoon, but then I realized, realistically, that my PCP, unless you get a very early morning appointment, is always running half an hour to 45 minutes behind, and that I had no idea how long I'd be in there once I finally got seen and blah blah. So I planned to take off the whole day. Well, our lil MILF left me a voicemail telling me the on-call doctor wanted to know if I could come in. I will edit out the boring details of our not being able to get in touch with each other and so forth, but to cut to the chase, basically when we did speak I told her unless this was a really serious emergency that could not wait till tomorrow, I would strongly prefer not to come in. She told me she would relay the message. (She also told me that she had already told the on-call doc that I have been having a lot of medical problems and concurrent appointments and that if I wasn't coming to work, that was most likely why, since I'm always at work. I love that girl. Seriously. I do.) No one called me back and told me this was a crucial emergency that required my presence, so I did not go to work. And, of course, then I felt guilty. My appointment didn't take *that* long--even though they didn't call me in until 30 minutes after my appointment time, they did *not* leave me waiting in the room unattended forever, which is usually the next part of the process. Considering that in the past two weeks I have been called at home five or six times (and it's not that I'm on-call either) to either come in early, stay late, or otherwise work when I'm not officially supposed to be there, and this is the first time I haven't accommodated them, there is no logical reason I should feel guilty. But there ya go.

3.) Purging! You cannot believe the stuff I am finding in that horrible cat box office. There was a catalog from This End Up, a company which I do not believe has been in business in this millennium. There were a couple of books that I seriously thought I had already searched my whole house for. There were two bags of clothing that I apparently was going to donate to charity circa 2001 and never got around to. There are tax documents, oh, god, the tax documents. (Can they still audit me for 1997? And if so, I don't know what good it would have done me before yesterday, because I had no idea those files were in there.) There were the original packing boxes from computers I bought three computers ago, because I am paranoid about the warning that if you don't have the original packaging it fucking voids the warranty or some such shit, and then it never gets thrown away, long after the computer has gone. I found Evil Kitty's spay certificate. I found my handwritten "financial disclosure" form from my divorce in a certified mail envelope. (With no other divorce documents. I've got no idea where my actual decree is.) I was gonna put that form through the shredder and then I stopped myself. I have no idea why. Is anyone ever going to need to see it again? I think not. In any case, as you can see, I need an administrative assistant as well as a contractor second husband, because I am not good at organizing my papers, no matter how many file folders and such I purchase. Oh, speaking of which, I also at one point was apparently way into purchasing office supplies because you would not believe the number and variety of envelopes, binders, printer paper, etc, I found. I could open my own little mini-Staples! But if you need any size envelope, lemme know. I'm your girl.

xoxo

3 comments:

Uncle said...

Since this is the Cat Box Room, I just wanted to make sure you were getting permission from Ms. EK to alter the Cat Box environment. Just sayin', because similar projects here have resulted in protests in the form of poop in the middle of the floor or something.

I think the rule is keep your tax stuff for ten years. I suppose they could go back further if they had lots of time on their hands and were feeling especially rotten some day, but the odds appear small.

Keeping everything means that you will become the posthumous darling of historians and archivists everywhere, who will assume that they are looking at a slice of average late 20th C. life: no pressure.

Anonymous said...

I think the rule on tax documents is seven years... but I could be wrong. Want me to report you to the IRS for 1999 and see what happens?

Do you know that the tree trimmers were DPW workers and not, say, working for the electric and/or telephone companies? Cause it's often overhanging tree branches that bring down electrical wires in the winter, and one of the big complaints against various electrical companies is them cutting back on maintenance costs by not trimming tree branches enough, only to cost you an electrical outage when they come crashing through your electrical cables later after an ice storm.

You probably needed the sidewalk tree trimmers, not the electrical tree trimmers. This is what keeps your municipal employees working and not on the prison bus. Just sayin' (P.S. I think in Cambridge if the tree is in front of your building it's your problem, even if on a city sidewalk. Count yourself lucky if they'll trim without charging you!)

malevolent andrea said...

1.) So far so good with Evil Kitty. However, I'm going to wash the floor and walls in there with my Mrs Meyers (maybe even tonight) and I'm not so sure cats like aromatherapy. So stay tuned. (I will say this for EK. She doesn't *need* aromatherapy. I swear, of every cat I've ever owned, her litter box is the least stinky.)

2.) I'm pretty sure they were the DPW, because they were around the corner and up the street today, and there were no obvious Verizon or NationalGrid trucks around. Unless they contract it out.