Tuesday, October 27, 2009

more c'mon now

According to the news, the Archdiocese of Boston is gonna protect all the faithful from the flu. Or at least from catching the flu while on, y'know, Church property.

The holy water fonts are going to be drained, disinfected, and refilled with fresh holy water. The sign of peace will be observed with a polite head bob/bow, no clasping hands or hugging. And when passing out communion, priests are to be extra careful not to accidentally touch the parishioners' faces or hands.

Of course I had to purposely annoy my father about this. "Wait. Isn't the baby Jesus supposed to protect you from germs in the holy water? It's *holy* water." Well, supposedly it is. This is why I personally don't go to church anymore. If they can't guarantee me that my attendance will get the baby Jesus on my side enough to protect me from a few microbes, I don't see the point. Weakass religion. In the old days, sacrificing a sheep to Zeus practically came with a money-back guarantee.

xoxo

1 comment:

Uncle said...

The incongruity of all this explains my position on religion. Actually I was hoping that the leadership would convince people that god *is* protecting them, which would ultimately improve the gene pool. Alas, it would damage the cash flow of religious institutions, and you can count on them to notice that.