Saturday, October 24, 2009

and in not-so-weirdness

Here's part of an email I received this morning from someone who was also an employee of the Evil Massage Place (I think he was one of the chiropractors, but I didn't know him):

I am e-mailing everyone to let you know that the Keith, Michelle met with the U.S Department of Labor this past Thursday. Two investigators came down to our office last week and we agreed to set up a meeting with them. They are currently actively investigating [deleted] and our former employers [deleted] and [deleted] for criminal charges.

Specifically, they are focusing on [deleted] 401K plans (for those of you who opted in) but are also interested in other violations (ie - non-payment of wages, benefits, health etc..).

They have kindly asked us to reach out to all former [deleted] employees to see if anyone would like to speak with them or provide them with any additional information that may help them with their investigation.


Okay, I wasn't in their 401k, but it pissed me off no end that not only did they owe me wages, but that after hiring me as an employee and paying me as an employee (taking out taxes and SS), they sent me a 1099 form for 2007, as if I was an independent contractor, instead of the W2 I should have gotten. (i.e. They stole our tax and social security payments.) So, yeah, I would kinda like to see these thieving bastards go to jail.

Should I email the investigators? I'm thinking I should.

xo

6 comments:

crispix67 said...

YES!! Definitely!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely!

I knew those guys were evil, but I didn't know they were criminal.

A few dollars for your headaches and loss of income is definitely worthwhile. They fucked you, now you get to fuck them.

Craig H said...

Absolutely. And it's doesn't even need to be about "getting back" at anybody. It's just about getting what you're owed. And you're owed.

The key will be, after securing (or while they're securing) a criminal judgment, pursuing a civil case to get your money. Somebody needs to get a laywer to file for the group. (And a good one, so they get you damages and legal costs on top of the rest of it).

malevolent andrea said...

I guess today I'll have to look for the envelope I have that has my "evidence" in it (all my pay stubs showing the withholding and the bogus 1099) and then email the feds :-) this week.

I think, at this point, from what I've read on other people commenting to the original email, the prospect of any of us getting what's owed to us is very slim. I got the bankrupcy letter in the mail last spring or summer informing me I was one of their creditors but, y'know, don't expect to get paid. And some of the people involved that were owed a lot of money (not me) or were really angry (much more than me) did look into sueing but for reasons I won't go into for comment length considerations, I was out of the loop on what happened with that. But, like I said, from commentary now, seems like people are resigned to their losses

malevolent andrea said...

Addendum: I just remembered (after looking through some piles of folders) that my envelope of evidence might be in my work office. When I finally filed my 2007 taxes, I remember having to do it from work because my computer at home was having problems.

THIS IS HOW DISORGANIZED I AM. For those of you who don't understand how this can be, it has a lot to do with my anxiety disorder. Certain financial things, like doing my taxes, fill me with such anxiety that as soon as I have finished, I just dump the paperwork somewhere and try not to think about it. Which means I have no idea where what I've done when I *do* need to think about it.

Don't judge me :-PPPPP

Uncle said...

I'm for finding the evidence and doing it. Both steps are positive. If these people end up making licence plates, so much the better.