Friday, December 19, 2008

urs n myne

So, I was able to leave work early today to beat the snow, and being home unexpectedly at 2pm on a Friday, I did what anyone would do: I sat down to watch daytime TV with my dad.

Now the last time I did this with any regularity--when I was in massage school--I was amused to discover that 99% of the commercials (at least during the parade of consecutive "judge" shows my dad watches) were for either shyster ambulance-chaser lawyers urging you to sue somebody, anybody, because if anything bad's ever happened to you, it's gotta be someone's fault, and thus worth money, or for fly-by-night "career colleges," because if you're sitting home in the middle of the afternoon watching Judge Joe Brown, obviously you're unemployed or a lazy sack of shit who should be doing something with yourself, like making $9 an hour as a medical assistant.

Well, I saw some of that ilk today. But I also saw a commercial for a totally different product, one whose marketing confused and perplexed me. K Y "yours and mine" lubricant. It was a very very odd advertisement. There was a couple who were busy busy busy, too busy and stressed for...sex? foreplay? arousal? I'm not quite sure. But they apparently used the "yours and mine" which left them lying there in post-orgasmic satisfaction. Quicker. Or something.

I'm still not sure I get the point. Perhaps I need to take a week off work and study this commercial in detail. Is this marketed towards couples who really aren't interested in having sex because they've got so much else to do, but who nevertheless feel they *should* be having sex? Is it for couples who are interested in having sex, as a concept, but are too busy to allot the few minutes required to do those usual things that get people aroused and ready to have sex? Or is it for people who are aroused and want to have an orgasm as time-efficiently as possible because they have too many other things to do? I just do not know.

I do know one thing. People who are watching Judge Joe Brown at 3pm on a Friday afternoon? They've got plenty of time for oral. I am absolutely positive about this.

Wasted friggin advertising dollars. Srsly.

xoxo

4 comments:

Uncle said...

In the ad world, that is known as "wasted impressions." Usually, though, you try to connect with something resembling your target market and shrug off the wasted impressions when you do. They don't teach this stuff like they usedta.

crispix67 said...

So many commercials out now just make me ask "What the f**k??" as in WTF are they advertising? or WTF was the company thinking approving that ad??

LOL

I havent seen the too busy one...the ones Ive seen have been the we were having trouble in the bedroom and then we found this and *BOOM* ahhhhhh life is great now!

Yes, I think a week off work and some personal research of this product is in order.

;)

malevolent andrea said...

See, that's another example of how crappy this advertising is...I have absolutely no interest in trying their product. At the risk of the dreaded over-share, I am not what you would call a lubricant kind of person, but several years ago when they first came out with the K Y warming gel (or whatever it's called) and were bombarding the world with advertising about it, I bought some.

And I was like, meh. I guess I am just not a big believer in chemical reactions happening in my, um, pants.

malevolent andrea said...

Ah, here's the link:

http://www.ky.com/index_us.jsp#

It's the "Mr and Mrs Barlow" one. In case you wanna watch it and explain it to me. And, yes, I do know I'm letting this take up too much space in my brain.