Sunday, December 28, 2008

artilicious


More +++ discounts, so I ordered the above.

If I get my act together, I'll take a picture at some point of the actual photograph I got for my bathroom for Christmas from my dad, to join the ones Mr Indemnity took. But here it is, below, unframed. It's called Les Halles, 1957, and the guy who took it is a famous fashion photographer. I kept looking at it for months, before finally deciding it was gonna be my Xmas prezzie. (I dunno why it's so small here. But you get the idea.)



I also think it's kinda hilarious that I haven't wanted to buy any shoes at all, just art. I'm sure that will pass soon.

xoxo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI: Les Halles was the central (food) market in Paris for hundreds of years--torn down in a fit of urban renewal in 1971.

And being a food market, it had a number of cheap, working class eateries around the periphery, which is probably where your (very tiny) photo was taken.

Not coincidentally Les Halles is also the name of the Anthony Bourdain's small chain of not ridiculously expensive brasseries featuring steak frites that you should visit the next time you're in NYC to honor your photo.

malevolent andrea said...

When you told me about going to Bourdain's Les Halles this summer, I had already seen that photo, so I knew it was named after someplace in, y'know, the actual France :-)

malevolent andrea said...

BTW, you probably can't see it from the teeny tiny photo, but the male part of the swank couple looks suspiciously like Paul Newman. But I haven't been able to find out anything about the photo to confirm or deny whether it is or not. My googlefu has deserted me.

Craig H said...

The first reminds me of a Niklas Muray print I have stored away around here somewhere... Very nice. I like it a lot.

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, yeah, I forgot to say. the first one is a Frederic Leighton.