Tuesday, December 30, 2008

last stupid story of the year

Maybe. I'm not promising anything. There's 35 hours to go, more or less.

So last night D and I were watching the first hour of VH1's Top 100 Hard Rock Songs. If you haven't seen one of these shows, what's wrong with you? No, what I mean to say is, if you haven't seen one of these shows, the formula goes like this: people vote on the website for the top 100 [whatever], and they make 5 hours of TV about it, very cheaply, showing you a portion of the music video or a clip of the artist performing it, interspersed with various "celebrities" or "musicians" (who either need a buck or like to see themselves on the television--Dave Navarro, I'm lookin' at you, pal) telling you it's a great song or why it's a great song or where they were when they first heard the song or whatever, and maybe the artists themselves discussing it (again, if they need a buck), and usually an update on where they are now.

So, we're watching hard rock songs #100-80 last night, and somewhere in the 90s is Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son. "I had that album!" I tell D. "On vinyl!" (He likes discussing the 70s with me. It may as well have been when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.) Well, they did have the guys from Kansas on, being interviewed. And one of them had an eye patch. In the clip of Carry On Wayward Son from 1976, no eye patch. Interview from 2000-whatever, eye patch. In discussion of What They've Been Up To Since Their Big Hit, no "So n so had to leave the band after a tragic slingshot accident..." or anything. I was dying. "How are they just ignoring that?" I ask D. "You cannot just ignore that the man now looks like a pirate. Do you think someone poked his eye out with an electric guitar?"

My son thinks I'm funny, but then again, he's on a lot of medication, plus he does have my DNA.

If any of you all wanna use your amazing googlefu to find out whether that's actually Paul Newman in my Les Halles photograph, could you look up The Guy From Kansas + eye mutilation at the same time? I'd be ever so grateful.

xoxo

5 comments:

Craig H said...

Wikipedia suggests Rick Williams lost his eye in a tragic fireworks accident as a kid, and the reason we never noticed is that he was just wearing a glass one back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Williams

malevolent andrea said...

Heh. I *knew* someone's amazing googlefu would come through for me. Never let it be said that my blog readers aren't the best.

However, I'm disturbed. If you were in a band in the effin' 70s, why wouldn't you have been wearing a pirate eye patch rather than a glass eye? There's nothing more rock n' roll than a pirate eye patch. C'mon now.

crispix67 said...

I hate those shows. LOL. Some of the people they have chatting about the songs...many I dont even know who they are, let alone why theyre telling me about a Black Sabbath song (I havent watched it to see if theres a Black Sabbath song on the countdown. But, there should be if there isnt.

I agree with you about the eyepatch thing. :)

malevolent andrea said...

I think, in the parts I've seen so far, that there was perhaps a Sabbath without Ozzy in the lower part of the countdown and maybe an Ozzy without Sabbath a bit higher, but there's *got* to be an Ozzy+Sabbath high up, because you know people would vote for that.

malevolent andrea said...

Okay, #4! "Paranoid" by Sabbath w/ Ozzy. I knew it. :-)