Friday, December 26, 2008

brother from another planet

One night in the spring of 1985, I couldn't fall asleep. (I know it was the spring of 1985 because I remember what apartment we were living in and I wasn't pregnant yet.) I got up out of bed and went out onto the living room sofa to, um, do something that would help me get to sleep. (Why did I have to get up out of bed for that? Well, even though we were very, very soon to create a baby together, we couldn't/wouldn't admit to each other that we did that kind of thing. Oh, so young. Oh, so stoopid.)

But my getting up woke my future ex-husband, so when I went out to the couch, all I could do was turn on the TV. Flipping idly through the channels I happened upon this movie in progress. And was immediately like, WTF? And was also immediately drawn in.

I loved that movie. I watched it every time I saw it on my cable for the next six or eight months, till we moved and didn't have cable any more. Then I never saw it again, though I remembered it vaguely and fondly. And I've never known anyone else who ever watched it or remembered it or even heard of it. Well, I read or heard or saw something that tweaked my memory of it a couple months ago, and found, to my delight, that Netflix had it.

And this week it finally worked its way up to the top of my queue, landing in my mailbox on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to me.

I started it last night. Oh, yes, it is very, very low budget. Oh, yes, it is dated. But it is still an extremely sweet, and quietly funny, movie and the performance of "the brother" is riveting. To be the lead character of a full length film and be entirely mute throughout, yet completely hold the screen? That's some acting right there.

I think I'll go finish the rest of it right now.

xoxo

No comments: