Sunday, November 2, 2008

brief update

I have this whole post in my head I wanted to write about this insight I had this weekend on my feelings about art and the artistic process and my artistic process, if I do, in fact, have one, that was all triggered by the Tori n' Neil post I wrote Friday, but...I'm too tired. (I have the feeling most if not all of you just thought, Whew! That was a close one!)

Why I am too tired? Besides the garage cleaning? I think I have some kind of cleaning/organizing ADD. I set out to do one project and one project only, which in this case was to straighten up the garage enough that the Verizon FIOS guy who is coming on Wednesday to install my super-high-speed internet (be jellus) could get to the place where my phone line enters my house and do his thing. I got that accomplished with much less agita than I was anticipating, partly because my dad, when he realized what I was doing, came out and pitched in. Which, to be fair, he really should have, because 95% of that mess was of his making.

But before I started doing *that*, which was yesterday, on Friday we had a little minor trauma in that one of the blinds in my dining room/living room broke. So rather than buy and put up a new blind, which I hate anyway, I decided to just get some curtain panels to put under the valances that were already on those windows. Stopped at Target on my way home (early) Friday, got curtains, washed and put up curtains, saw how much better that room looked with new curtains and started rearranging furniture and decluttering. Then massive vacuuming. That took all Friday late afternoon into evening, until the Halloween festivities started. And it looks so much better, even though I'm desperately in need of new living room furniture. (There's a sofa I lurvvve in the Pottery Barn catalogue, which in the fabric I'd chose [velvet] is $1999. Just for the sofa. Fuck you, Pottery Barn!) Where was I?

Oh, yeah, so after garage cleaning yesterday, I started with getting my recycling ready. There was a crapload of empty cardboard boxes in the garage, lemme tell you. I haven't even dealt with them all yet. This morning I came down, re-vacuumed because everything got tracked in from the garage and the recycling, looked at what I'd done in the living room/dining room and was pleased, but had some ideas popping in about what to do next. One of the things I had taken out in the de-cluttering was this teeny, ostensibly-sewing-machine, table of my mom's which had just been jammed in, blocking a window for no apparent reason. I had put it in the hallway temporarily to hold the Halloween candy. So today I thought, hey, I could keep that there, put the two candle holders that are in the massage room that I love but that don't go with my colors upstairs anymore on it, put the "window" mirror that I've been equivocating about moving or painting over it, then move those wall hangings... You get the idea. I cannibalized a whole bunch of stuff from other rooms to make a little entryway display. (As I said to my dad, oh, look! Now we have a foyer! It was pretty funny. We're white trash. We don't have foyers.)

Then I went out and got a couple other things that moving the things I moved made me realize I needed. Reorganizing ADD, seriously. One project snowballs into ten. So, while I got a lot accomplished, I've still got many other things that need doing. And I'm tired. Yet overstimulated.

So I think I'll finish doing laundry, then retire to my bed for some Torchwood dvds.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Gonna make me feel guilty, eh? Nice try. I did jack all weekend.

malevolent andrea said...

I tell you not to make you feel guilty, I tell you so you all can feel pity for me.

"Poor Andrea! She worked so hard all weekend. Someone ought to take her to PF Chang's and buy her, in order, a pina colada, stir-fried asparagus, and a wee mini dessert!"

Or share your klonopin.

:-) :-)

blog author's note and disclaimer:

We here at The Adventures do not condone using any prescription drugs not specifically prescribed for you by a licensed physician. This is illegal and dangerous to your health. Any reference to such activities are totally tongue-in-cheek and are for humorous purposes only. IOW, do not try this at home. Thank you.

/disclaimer