Wednesday, February 20, 2008

underwear post

Oh, yeah, give the audience what they want, and I haven't done one in a while, have I?

Recently, I've been obsessed with (and failing miserably at) finding two particular undergarments, either online somewhere that doesn't charge outrageous shipping charges, or preferably in a brick-n-mortar store. One is a ridiculously expensive Hanky Panky cami from the Garnet Hill catalog that I just inexplicably love, with emphasis on the ridiculously and the inexplicably. The second is (what was apparently) a limited edition color of my favoritest bra.

Let me pause to say that, also recently, I have been relentlessly mocked--relentlessly, I tell you!--because there are only certain specific undergarments that I'll wear when they are going to be glimpsed, ahem, by someone else. It has been suggested to me that this is very, very silly, since glimpsing quickly proceeds to divesting. Well, I'm sorry, but I think they need to look pretty for the fifteen seconds before they hit the floor, and if they look pretty just lying there in a heap, all the better. No, seriously, it's much more about how the cute underwear makes me feel than really their aesthetic appeal to anyone viewing. Perhaps that's something that people with a Y chromosome (and some people with two Xs) can't fully appreciate.

So! Yeah! I just want these two phantom undergarments because I think they're going to make me feel adorable for no really good reason. And having spent parts of three days perusing all the high-end online lingerie purveyors, though to no avail, I both have a new appreciation of the Hanky Panky company's wares and an explanation for something that had me perplexed a few months ago.

I'm not sure exactly why I didn't blog about this when it happened, because it was really funny, but I must have been obsessed with something else at the time. Anyway, during one of the times I went soaking this fall, I somehow managed to drop my underwear somewhere between the bathroom and the tub room. And since when I was changing out of my bathing suit to get redressed, I didn't remember that I had still had my underwear on under my robe when I had gone to the bathroom, I was convinced I'd lost them in the actual tub room. Which, the room being like eight feet by eight feet, didn't seem possible, barring actual wormholes or rips in the space/time continuum. Be that as it may, I dressed without them and prepared to leave.

Then, at the front desk, as I paid, the woman sort of dropped her voice a notch and asked tentatively, "You aren't missing anything, are you?" Why, yes. She takes a plastic bag from the lost-and-found shelf and hands it to me. On the outside it is marked, no lie, "expensive woman's underwear." Oh, we laughed and laughed. My friend asked me if they were actually expensive, and I was like, uh, no, seven bucks at the Gap.

But now I know! My seven buck Gap underwear is a direct knockoff of these: http://tinyurl.com/yrqam5 and if you didn't look at the tag...

And I *suppose* people who lose their $32 underpants at the hydrospa/massage therapy place would be really motivated to come back and claim them from lost and found, rather than just trust in the wormhole theory, huh?

Anyway? Point? I should really, really read a book.

xoxo

8 comments:

Craig H said...

First of all, "ridiculously" must be a ridiculously relative thing, cuz I once went browsing on La Perla's site, and I haven't seen anything on Garnet Hill to get anywhere near that altitude of crazy... (Yes, I was compelled to go peep, I mean peek).

As for "inexplicably", well, I've kinda always liked the way nice underwear looks in a jumble on my floor, so you don't have to worry about explaining it to me. (Of course, I've also kinda liked the way most womens underwear looks in a jumble on my floor, and can't remember ever saying no to a woman who came without any in the first place either, so there's that too).

My one request, should you ever wind up at my place and feel compelled to strew yours all about, is that you "forget" it there and have to come back to retrieve it the next day. THAT's my favorite part of underwear on the floor for sure.

:-)

malevolent andrea said...

So is that a vote in favor of my spending $42 + 6.95 (!) in shipping for that incredibly adorable cami? (You people can feel free to enable me, you know.) I mean, I know I was bitching in here about paying twenty bucks for a completely plain, utilitarian one from Jockey, but that Hanky Panky is for sure 150% cuter.

But, anyway, Mr Barma, perhaps you ought to invest in some white plastic bags and a black Sharpie to mark on them with, and you can have your own personal lost and found shelf for the stray female undergarments that end up forgotten beneath your bed :-) :-)

Uncle said...

"you can have your own personal lost and found shelf for the stray female undergarments that end up forgotten beneath your bed...."
Gawd, when was the last time I had an offer like that? For what it's worth, I think both the heap on the floor factor and the 15 second factor, never mind the self-esteem, are worth every penny.

Craig H said...

Remember, I'm the guy with a $50 egg skillet... Which means, of course that I'm thinking the cami sounds absolutely reasonable, though, of course, you can't trust anything I say when there's talk of cami's lying strewn about bedroom floors, either.

malevolent andrea said...

Ah, you people are overcoming my inner Suzi Orman. "You wanna pay *what* for that when your electric bill was *what* this month???" Shut up, Suze. My blog readers have voted against you. :-)

Craig H said...

I'd be willing to bet ol' Suze has a few upscale underthings in her trusseau drawer, too, though I doubt she strews.

(We'll want photos of the fruits of our encouragement, you know ;-)

Uncle said...

Photos? Absolutely! We need evidence that all this isn't some kind of twisted fantasy.

Not that there's anything WRONG with that!

malevolent andrea said...

Yeah, yeah, there'll be photos when somebody teaches me to photoshop really really *really* well. :-PPPP

Other than that, no. But thanks for asking! hahahaha