Wednesday, February 27, 2008

one more entry

...in the regional food wars.

I didn't get a chance to blog about this the other day, but Monday afternoon I had a patient who lived in central-to-northern New Hampshire. They were originally from Wakefield, and still came down to Massachusetts for the (handicapped) kid's health care. When they were getting ready to leave, the young man's mom was like, "C'mon, I'll take you out for dinner! What do you want to eat?"

And he was insisting what he wanted was Burger King. The mom, half-laughing and half-pleading, was trying to talk him into Kowloons or Hilltop or any of number of the places that they used to love going to down here. Finally she said, "I know! Let's go to Beef and Sea and get roast beef sandwiches." She turned to me and said, "They don't have roast beef in New Hampshire. I mean, not real roast beef. Not like Beef and Sea."

I said, "That's...a pity."

"It is."

Just another reason I can never move from eastern Massachusetts. Because, really. That's a pity.

xoxo

6 comments:

Uncle said...

Probably so. Go up a certain distance and its mooseburger. Then it's poutine, eh?

Time was you could get proper roast beef and even pastrami, but that was only in the southern parts, and even the best of those opportunities are gone.

This is a confession from a NH native, lord help us!

Craig H said...

Proximity to poutine is not to be underestimated!

Had a great roast beef at the gahden last night. Not Nick's, (Beverly), but pretty damn good.

As was the beer and basketball.

malevolent andrea said...

I'm not getting blog comment notifications again. Boo!

So, two things:

1.) I have never had poutine, though I am quite sure anything containing both cheese and fries cannot, by definition, fail to be good. So, someday.

2.) "Real" roast beef can only be prepared and proffered by a man named Nick, George, John, or Peter. Beware of imitations. :-)

3.) (You get a bonus! Sweet!) This is giving me an idea for my next topic. More food talk!

Craig H said...

Yeah--I always went for the pizza rolls at Bill & Bobs.

Uncle said...

Hey, did I say there was anything *wrong* with poutine?

There...my Northern culinary vice is out in the open.

malevolent andrea said...

The "intuitive eating" peeps would tell you there is no such thing as a culinary vice. Your body knows when it needs poutine :-)