Saturday, February 23, 2008

a new rule

I'm sitting here, waiting for my patient to arrive--probably fruitlessly because they probably didn't feel like digging out their car--and just sort of screwing around on the internet, as you do, to keep myself entertained.

And I come across someone (probably a sixteen year old boy) proclaiming that if a girl has more than one sexual partner in a year, then she's a whore. I'm thinking, well. If you hold to this particular rule, you'd probably want to hold off on breaking up with your current partner until, like, early December.

Wait. Do we not mean calendar year?

xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does that same rule apply to boys?

I remember back in the 90s there was one of the many sex surveys of Americans that came out, and they reported that American women said they had an average of two sex partners in their lifetime, while men said they'd had an average of six partners.

Now both those numbers sound sort of bogus to me. But I'm thinking, at least one gender's outright lying here, or there's some women who are getting an awful lot of action to make up for the ones who'd only ever slept with their first husband and then the current one.

Or maybe people lie about sex all the time, including in sex surveys.

So I'm pretty sure the rule is: you're a whore if you sleep with more than one guy in the same calendar year and you admit to it (most especially to social behavior researchers you never saw before in your life).

Which I guess makes Valerie pretty slutty--unless she didn't sleep with Eddie that same year, in which case she's morally cleansed...

Cause she has only ever slept with Eddie and the guy she cheated with, right? I can't believe, being all wholesome and all, that Valerie would possibly be bumping up the female average...

Craig H said...

My goal in life is to outlive the running average of my profligacy, and so to die a (relatively) chaste man. (To show you how optimistic I am for future life expectancy, I'm still digging my statistical deficit).