Monday, February 25, 2008

overheard

Today's cell phone conversation: a young man, about my kid's age, vehemently defending his whereabouts, or his choice of companionship to--his mother? his girlfriend?--you know it had to be a woman, anyway. "No, I walked all the way down there and all the way back by myself. Well, yeah, I did run into Spanish Danny in Central Square for like twenty minutes. He was waiting for his bus and I was waiting for mine."

And I'm thinking, Spanish Danny! That's the best nickname evah. Perhaps there's a whole plethora of them, identified only by the modifying ethnicity in front of their name. The cell phone kid might have been Irish Danny, for all I know, judging solely and completely from the huge skull-and-shamrock neck tattoo.

Okay, so maybe it was his probation officer he was justifying his whereabouts and companions to.

(I'm being a judgmental bitch again, right? Oh, well.)

xoxo

2 comments:

Craig H said...

Walked all the way and back, but spent 20 minutes waiting for a bus...

LOL

Only in certain places on earth can an excuse like that hold in spite of all reason to the contrary. As they say, it's all location, location, location.

"Spanish Danny" is, indeed, a classic.

malevolent andrea said...

Actually, to defend Ugly-tattood and Possibly Irish Danny, he mentioned where "there" was, and it is indeed someplace the bus does not run by. So it is conceivable that he did walk all the way there, then walk back to Central Square to get a bus (hence innocently running into Spanish Danny.) So, within the proper context, it's possible he wasn't lying.

I hear so many people obviously lying their teeth off on their cell phones, that I feel I must give a slight benefit of the doubt to the ones whose stories are at least somewhat in the realm of possibility. ;-)