Friday, February 22, 2008

the milk of human kindness

I had something amazing happen to me this morning, something that hasn't happened for literally years. A T driver on an out of service bus stopped for me. "I'm only going as far as ______ and then I need to turn." "Oh, no, I'm getting off before that." "Great! Hop on!"

And then when I got to work, my first patient, who was double-booked because someone thought he was going to be difficult to test, turned out not only to be completely cooperative, but a little sweetie. I whipped him in and out of here so fast, not only do I have time to blog, I'm going to the caf to get oatmeal.

I'm sure this day could get better, but I really don't know how.

xoxo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the snow, it makes everyone happy!

Yeah right...

Well, actually, I think it does, if you don't have to get drive in it... which doesn't explain the T driver, though perhaps your little patient.

And oatmeal seems very weather appropriate. :)

Craig H said...

I can just hear little Andrea now, down at the caf...

"I want my Maypo..."

malevolent andrea said...

You people know that industrial oatmeal is the only kind I'll eat, right? I have tried to replicate it at home many, many times with various types and formulations of oatmeal, various pots and techniques, to no avail. Oatmeal only tastes good when made in 5 gallon batches.

I always thought I was the only person in the world to feel this way (though the cafeteria oatmeal here is very popular) until I went to a conference with my friend K and we were both all over the hotel buffet oatmeal. And she was like, "...it only tastes good when they make it in a giant pot..." :-)

Uncle said...

There's a comfort in shared obsessions, y'know. This starts out contemplating the milk of human kindness and ends up...surprise!...at food. But you're right. The smaller the quantity of oatmeal, and the more frou-frou it has, the less I like it.

Believe it or not, the same principle applies to grits, even though it's hard to get any Yankee to admit that grits is anything but wallpaper paste with butter.

Yes! I confess! I like industrial grits AND industrial oatmeal!

malevolent andrea said...

Hey, all you need to do is call the grits "polenta" and that makes it okay to eat in MA :-)