Tuesday, September 4, 2007

retro

Really, I'm not one of those people who are stoopid enough to want to have been born in another era. The Ren Faire may (or may not) be fun, but only a complete tool fails to realize that they call 'em the Dark Ages for a reason. I'll take my giant turkey leg without the side order of plague, thanks. Similarly, I'm not down with the nostalgia for the supposedly simpler days of fifty years ago. I like my reproductive and sexual freedom, my career opportunities, and my satellite TV. Not to mention Netflix and (sob) splenda Coke.

But, goddamn. As I may have mentioned elsewhere, they had better underwear then. I want a bullet bra. And a half slip. Maybe a girdle. Definitely stockings, and the garters with the little button tabs on them, like I remember my mom having when I was a very, very small child.

Of course I don't want to wear that stuff every day. Or have to wear it. I just want it to play Elizabeth Taylor sex kitten in. (Or, more realistically, I guess, Mrs. Robinson.) I want a Bettie Page wig, some red lipstick, elbow length gloves. And a highball.

I just read someone commenting sarcastically that just about every fall season the designers trumpet a return to "ladylike" as they shill their pencil skirts, their tweed suits, the coats with the fur collars. And it's played out. (Which may explain why we're all still in our hoodies and flip-flops.) I can't say I disagree. So screw the pencil skirt and the satin cocktail dress. Just give me the contents of Macy's lingerie department circa 1960, and an echo of the days when getting into a woman's pants involved more of a challenge than pushing aside some ugly thong.

xoxo

11 comments:

Craig H said...

it's all (apparently) about cars (guys) and underwear (gals). but bullet bras??? ;-)

Anonymous said...

What?! A boob you can poke your eye out with isn't hot? C'mon now.

DarkWing said...

hahahahah, this is great :)

Craig H said...

mewonders if freud wouldn't have something to say about wanting to wield one ;-)

malevolent andrea said...

But, then, Freud was wrong about so very many things. :-)

I suppose, though, that I really shouldn't make sex with me into more of an extreme sport than it already is, huh? ahahaha

Anonymous said...

I've read that the "critically acclaimed" AMC series Mad Men is all about getting the feel of 1960 right: the clothes, the hairstyles, the drinking, the Neanderthal-like attitudes towards sex and sexism.

But I haven't yet seen it myself. Need to get that on the TiVo.

malevolent andrea said...

I read the same thing which was part of the inspiration for the blog. (You know you and I read all the same papers and magazines, right? :-))

Anyway, I've apparently got to talk about underwear more, because it's obvious that it's the only topic that prompts anyone to leave a damn comment.

Anonymous said...

Underwear bring out the readers, huh? Who would've thunk it?

Maybe you should rename your blog to increase readership. Do you think Andrea's Drawers are taken? Andreas Accessible Panties? Boning the Corset????

malevolent andrea said...

Drea's Secret :-)

Uncle said...

Great new public ya got here, A. Never mind: they'll never learn the truth from me.

For the benefit of the unenlightened, the bullet bras were just the first line of defence. The girdles were the rest of the war, for those who were wearing them and those trying to get past them.

And people think the Middle Ages and plague were tough!

malevolent andrea said...

Mostly it's the same old public with different names :-) but I'm considering inviting some other people over, so yeah, I'm sorta behaving myself.

Thanks for the period testimonial! Just think though. If you had gotten an eye poked out by an errant boob in early adolescence, you could be wearing a cool pirate eye patch even as we speak :-)