Friday, September 14, 2007

quickie! book reviews

  1. Another Day in the Frontal Lobe by Katrina Firlik: I hope you're a better neurosurgeon than you are a writer, Doc. And don't tell me that being skinny and blond didn't help seal the book deal.
  2. A Round-Heeled Woman: My Late-Life Adventures in Sex and Romance by Jane Juska: surprisingly sweet, poignant, and funny, but I'd have like the author even better had she not told me she'd been in classical psychoanalysis for five years and Recovered Memories therein. Plus, if you're in psychotherapy for five years, shouldn't you have explored your tendency to abusing substances? I mean, I dunno, I think it would have come up.
  3. Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah Macdonald: only halfway through, but I have to say, I think this is possibly the first book by an Australian author I've knowingly read, and the sense of humor is quite different than an American or British one. Which is interesting. Also? I never ever ever want to go to India.

xoxo

No comments: