Tuesday, September 11, 2007

ranty rant rant

I was all revved up to write a rant about body hair removal, about men who don't understand the time, effort, and expense women spend to look good for them, etc etc, when I realized that isn't even what's pissing me off. The incredibly long thread that spawned this rant consisted of a (in her words) hirsute woman, fighting against ethnicity and, as it turns out, PCOS, for whom normal everyday hair removal is already a huge chore (and reading between the lines) psychologically distressing, worrying about a potential new lover's preference for, uh, bare pubes. And so many people telling her, "oh, it's no big deal, just do it."

That's actually what I want to rant about. That's actually what pissed me off. Total and complete lack of empathy. The inability to understand that just because something is no big deal for you, it can be a huge big deal, physically, emotionally, or financially, for someone else.

I seriously do not know how people go through life without any ability to put themselves in other people's places, to understand how something might make the other person feel even if it's different from what you feel. That's social retardation, as far as I'm concerned. But it appears to be endemic. Gah.

As you were.

xoxo

No comments: