Monday, September 17, 2007

doggy love

Went hiking yesterday and, I am proud to say, made it out of the woods alive. Now, granted, we were hiking in the Middlesex Fells which meant that sometimes we were within twenty feet of someone's backyard and at other times actually on the road. I don't care. It counts. The legend on the map even said that the trail we took was "moderate to difficult." So there.

But, anyway, the parking lot we used and the trailhead we started at seemed to be a place where every dog owner in a ten mile radius brought their pooch for exercise. And all the dogs, transfixed by the smells of the woods and the smells of all the other dogs, were just quivering with happiness. I am much more a cat than a dog person--mostly because my family never had dogs when I was a kid, living in a triple-decker as we did--but I do like dogs, and it was impossible not to smile at this outpouring of doggy joy.

Someone needs to write that self-help book: Live Life Like a Dog, a guide to finding ecstasy in the small pleasures of life.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Maybe dogs ought to rule, seeing that they already rock?

Ssh. I don't want the cats to hear that.

malevolent andrea said...

I'd fear for your safety if you hadn't already implied that one of your cats is too dim and one too lazy to exact revenge on your heresy ;-)