Monday, September 3, 2007

clothes make the man

Forgive me if you've read part of this elsewhere. Or if, y'know, you were there for the actual conversation. If you're looking for complete novelty, you'd better go read some total stranger's blog or risk bitter disappointment.

Ok, disclaimer out of the way! Actual content coming right up.

In yesterday's Sunday Globe magazine, there was an article about the lack of middle class people with children in the city of Boston, mainly because the schools suck and the cost of private school plus a city mortgage is prohibitive. One of the interviewees in the accompanying photos struck me as the Definitive Hipster Douche: the perfect ironic glasses, the ugly checked shirt, the graying hair cut just so, the insufferably smug expression. I hated this guy just from looking at his picture for 7.5 seconds. But even a judgmental bitch like me realized that that was harsh and perhaps unfair.

Then I read the article, in which Mr. Definitive Hipster Douche describes visiting many, many kindergartens in his quest for the perfect school for his offspring. All of which were inadequate. Because, mind you, "as an architect", he found them all too architecturally distressing. Douche!

Moral of this story? I need to trust my bitchy snap judgmentalism more.

Anyway, I was telling this story to my friend A at the beach yesterday, and after we finished laughing our proverbial asses off, he tried to engage me in a serious, intellectual discussion about how trends start and spread, and who, for instance, decided that the uglier and nerdier the glasses, the cooler they are. Unfortunately, since I'm only good at making fun of pretentious losers, not actual intelligent thought, I had no answer.

xoxo

1 comment:

Uncle said...

You're way too damn busy around here!
What's even more frightening is the idea that it is the douches who are "creating" (gaak) our architecture, theoretically our lasting legacy to the latter ages.

Way back in school, a professor noted that our century is the first to build almost entirely in organic materials instead of stone (yes, concrete is organic). Thus, our creative legacy to the future is likely to be dust.

And he said that like it was BAD!